Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to transfer hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

Hello, crazy question to anyone with this kind of experience. Is it possible to transfer my hard drive from my old dell laptop into the same laptop with same specs? I'm having no success getting the laptop to stay on. I'm almost positive it's a hardware issue. If it does turn on there's no problems with the software. Thank you in advance

Edited by allstock, 06 December 2014 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Well...it's a Dell system and OEMs may use BIOS passwords, system passwords, etc. that might prevent moving the intact Windows O/S to another system, IMO.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN115919/EN

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

In addition to Hamluis' post, if you are using an exact duplicate of your problem laptop, possibly yes. However......M/Soft may throw a fit if it detects a different mainboard since an OEM machine operating sytem (unless you are running Windows 98 or earlier or maybe XP) is tied to that mainboard. You may have to call M/Soft for approval (not sure about that one). I have heard (no direct experience on my part) that they are somewhat reasonable if you explain the circumstances. No guarantees.

Actually, it may be easier to just fix your current laptop.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks ranch hand. Always wondered what it'd be like being a ranch hand. What if I were to transfer the main board as well. There isn't any soldering involved is there? I'm thinking it's an overheating issue. The adapter outlet gets really hot and I have to fiddle around with it to get the battery charge light to go on I noticed. It'll turn on, but eventually freeze up. For instance, today I was able to get the system specs from Vista control panel just before it froze. Now will it matter if the replacement dell 1000 has win 7. After all I'm replacing the entire hard drive. And what if the replacement machine has a few more gigs of ram as well? Sorry I'm not too computer literate. Thanks

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

What if I were to transfer the main board as well

I am assuming this is an old unit, approximately 3-5 years. I this it?

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-1000/

The problem is that a new mainboard will be impossible to obtain, you would have to look for a used one from Ebay and you take your chances with that. And you probably will end up paying close to what a new lap would cost.  A new board (if you can get one) will cost almost as much as a new laptop, and then you will have to get a new hard drive (SATA) and memory (DDR3), it just goes on and on.

The adapter outlet gets really hot and I have to fiddle around with it to get the battery charge light to go on

Yeah, that's not good. The CPU fan may have failed and the unit overheats. Or the barrel jack socket where the adapter's barrel jack plugs into the laptop may be broken from use, and when you wiggle it you can get it to make & break the circuit which crashes the computer. If it is only a cracked circuit board sometimes it can be soldered by reflowing the old solder, but without opening it up nobody can tell.

In answer to your question.... My father was a rancher in N. Central Idaho and I grew up on a horse. Best years of my life. Sure beats sitting at desk all day staring at a monitor.

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 December 2014 - 06:49 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users