Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAN I upgrade my AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU Card?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Notice to forum Admins/Moderators if you would, please remove my other thread. I don't want to be double posting, but my topic on it was not helpful and the subject matter is pretty much the same. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558682/inexpensive-but-worth-upgrating-a-hd6850/      Mod Edit - Topic closed - Hamluis.

Alrighty guys. I know the smartest peeps are on this site, so here I am with my question ;) It's basically..Can I upgrade my AMD Radeon HD 6850 with the system I currently run and if so, what are my choices? There are a few twists however to this question.. because my b-day and Christmas are in this month, my folks are asking what the heck I want. BUT, I know they don't have much money so I don't want to push them far at all. So I'm wondering if there are even any cards out there in a low enough price range that I could get and it really be worth the upgrade at all. Maybe I should change my 6GB of RAM to 8GB instead?

So that's where I am.. if anyone can provide advice or show me options, I'd very much appreciate it :)

Here is what my system is now:

Windows 7 64-bit

6GB of ram (I was going to ask for an upgrade to 8GB until I thought about the card)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3Ghz  (Socket AM2+)

MB: MSI model: MS-7374 nForce 750a SLI (I'm actually not sure, but I think I might be PCI Express 16x)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850

If you need more info just let me know please. Thanks in advance for anyone's help! I know this forum is the best at what it does! :)

Colin

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

This question comes with other questions.  What is the budget?  What games do you play and at what quality settings are you aiming for? 

3939.png

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Hey thanks for your response DJB! I actually had another thread that after a while I thought no one was going to respond to because of a poor topic, so I made this one. Then of course people started helping me in that thread! :) BUT I'd still like to see what you think of my decision and I had a question about my current power supply and if it would be good enough for this card. The card I went with was the Radeon R9 280, you have my other system specs above, but my power supply is a: Thermaltake TR2 RX-550 (ATX12v2.2)

I believe someone confirmed that it should work ok, but I'm really worried about my CPU and/or Motherboard overheating.  :flame:  Right now they both get up to and a bit over 100c when I'm running a game even with the 120mm 3000RPM 133.60CFM fan I'm replacing. (it still works, but it keeps screeching through the night hence the replace) and with the fact that side of the case is actually open although close to a wall. It's open though because my case sucks, has hardly any vents, can't take much air in from the front because it's blocked by metal decks (You can click here and see what I'm talking about) and the side fan is broke.. though I just ordered a new side fan as well and am HOPING I can then try to put the case back on. lol that was a mouthful. I don't think there is much advice you can give me at this point other than say my stuff is gonna melt or that it's normal and not to worry about it. Heh :)

NOW DJB, on to your questions and into the fun stuff! I picked the card with a $200 budget. I don't expect to max out the settings on games or anything, but I'd like to safely play them at mid level settings. Thing don't have to look perfect though. I at least like to TRY out most of the BIG new releases but generally get the games like the Mass Effect series, the Dragon Age series (DEF. want to play the new one when I get it!!), usually I get bored with FPS's after doing the same thing for a while, but I notice I've enjoyed the Dead Space games quite a bit and it is a FPS. Anyway, the Batman games were pretty cool too.. well I only got in to the first one. Right now I'm playing Middle Earch SoM and the origional Dragon Age actually:)

Soooo I can obviously play those games happily! Most aren't set on high settings and some are using the lowest. I'm aware games are only getting more graphic intense though, hence the upgrade. Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade anything else for a while though. So what do ya think? Think I'll notice a difference? Or am I doomed by the CPU slowing me down too much or something melting? :P I'm pretty much crossing my fingers at this point. One more thing I should mention.. I had no idea what the temps. were during these years playing these games.. I only checked out of curiosity and with the two games I told ya I'm playing now. Even the old 2009 D.A. brings em up to 100c. So maybe I shouldn't have checked!

Ok I'm really starting to feel like I'm taking up WAY to much of any readers time so I'm outa here. Thanks so much for any advice or feedback! :)

Colin

P.S. Just had a thought.. my brother has a Radeon HD 6850 not being used. Instead of this upgrade.. with his and mine could I have used crossfire and put them both in? Would that be better?? BUT I'm sure my motherboard wouldn't allow it or something. Sounds too good to be true lol

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

If your motherboard has two PCI-Express X16 slots, you should have the capability to use multiple GPU's, however, given that chipset, SLI may be the only option available for a multi-GPU setup.

With CPU temperatures that high, I'm a little surprised your PC hasn't shut itself off to prevent overheating.  GPU's can get extremely hot, but CPU's tend to have a lower temperature threshold.  Have you tried running your PC with the case open to see what happens in terms of temperatures?

Dragon Age Inquisition actually has fairly low requirements, you should be able to at least run that game at mid-level settings.  Your motherboard can also handle a Phenom II X6 Thuban processor.  These CPU's can be a bit difficult to find and given your temperatures, you may not want to add a hot new CPU.  For $200, if you really want a new GPU, you could get an R9 280, which is faster and should run on that PSU.

Ideally, I would suggest saving your money and plan on a platform upgrade to either an FX or i5 based system in 2015 and get the GPU then along with a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and Windows.

3939.png

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hey DJB, you missed a couple things in my last post, I actually already did get(Ordered) the R9 280. I was hoping I would notice the difference even though my CPU isn't all that great. Also, I already have my case open on the side and those are the high temperatures even with the case open:( I did order a new side fan and have a fast as hell one on the back, but that wont be enough to fix the hot CPU. I had $200 to spend from my family as a birthday/Christmas gift and I'm pissed that I didn't think to try replacing the heatsink instead of buying a side fan... I hope I can get a new heatsink soon and that it fixes the heat. I'd definitely would go with your last suggestion, but I don't and won't have any extra money to spend for a while:(

As for the idea of using the two Radeon HD 6850's I have, or using one with the R9 280. I know my motherboard advertised that it is SLI, but I don't know what that is. I assume it's a deal breaker for using to cards huh? If I could put both Radeon HD 6850's in there, would it be better than one R9 280? Also, could you put a R9 in with the Radeon HD 6850? I think I do have two PCI slots actually, there is a fan under my current graphics card and I'm 80% sure that it is plugged into the second PCI slot. So what's the word? :) Thanks for your help and answering my questions, I appreciate it a lot. I'll be back around in a couple hours. 

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

You should notice a difference with the R9 280.  Is that 100 degrees Celsius taken at the CPU or somewhere else on the motherboard and what are you using to monitor it?  If that is the CPU temperature, I'm shocked it hasn't shut down yet given that the Phenom II's have a thermal limit in the low 60 degree Celsius range.  Modern CPU's throttle down and eventually shut down if they get too hot.

SLI is Nvidia's take on multi-GPU, it is analogous to AMD's Crossfire.  That motherboard you are using allows only for SLI.  Many newer motherboards include the ability to use both SLI and Crossfire.  With Crossfire, you have to use it within a given series.  You cannot Crossfire a 6850 and R9 280.  You need either two 6850's or two R9 280's and your motherboard must support Crossfire.  I have used Crossfire and SLI, given the driver issues, glitches, and possible scaling problems, I would rather just get a really powerful single card solution.

3939.png

#7 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor to get these temps. and yea its 100 degrees Celsius!! And the Motherboard gives me two temps, one gets up to the low 90's and the other stays in the low 30's all the time. Keep in mind this is while I have the side panel of my case open! The computer HAS shut down twice on me actually and I'm sure it is was because of the temp. I can't believe their limit is supposed to be in the low 60 degree Celsius range!! It never gets that low!

There is good news though, I have ordered a side panel fan since that one has been broken for a while now, and am replacing the heatsink for the CPU. I hope to God that helps! My room is the hottest in the house lol.

As far as using two cards I appreciate the info. I always wondered about it. I actually do have two working 6850's. Also I heard that the R9 280 is pretty much the the high version of the HD 7000 series. But given your advice I'll just use the R9 280 and be safe. As long as I can run Dragon Age: Inquisition at ok settings and the game is as good as the first one I'll be happy:) I'm actually playing the first one again while I wait to get Inquisition. We'll see what happens I suppose. Thanks as always!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

What does it say your CPU temperature is in the BIOS?  I use an aftermarket cooler with an FX-8150, it shares the same thermal limit as the Phenom II's so upgrading the CPU may not help.  Here's AMD's information page on your processor.

The R9 280 is roughly twice as fast as a single 6850, so you are getting similar performance to a Crossfire solution minus all the odd quirks.  If you have Dragon Age Inquisition, you may not be able to run everything at ultra levels, but either a mix of high and ultra or just high should be easily doable.

On a side note, you should also play Dragon Age II.  When finished, go to the Dragon Age Keep online and look over your choices.  You can link up Dragon Age Inquisition with the Keep and bring over the choices you made in the previous installments, which does have an effect on the game.

3939.png

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

G'day Colin, the listed maximum temperature of the 60 degrees Celsius range as stated by AMD is only the recommended max temperature, but realistically, the Phenom CPU's has a much higher temperature threshold. Based on my personal experience with an Phenom II X6 1090T, the listed maximum temperature is 62 degrees Celsius although i have in the past exceeded that temperature towards the 80C range.

Based from what i have read, the CPU heatsink itself may or may not be properly seated, or the thermal paste could be drying out, hence weakening the contact between the CPU and heatsink. Another possibility would be the fan could be going work and may not be spinning fast enough to drive away the heat. Checking in the BIOS for the CPU temperature, as suggested by DJBPace07 would be a good starter to confirm the temperatures that being observed in Windows. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Sorry for the late reply guys. My B-day was yesterday so I wasn't on the computer too much. Thanks for the advice and thanks for joining us killerx! :bananas:

I can't believe the listed max temp. is 62 degrees Celsius! Right now I have many tabs open in my browser, music playing from winamp, a movie on pause and CPUID is saying it's at 77 degrees Celsius!!! That is quite a bit going on at once, but it by no means should be getting this hot from that...It's good to know that it's handling it for now though. I'll do what both of you guys suggested and see what bios says and edit this post with the reading I get there. Looking through some old stuff I found a screenshot of the temp on my OLD cpu and it was 49 degrees, so I see this is def. a problem. (Can't remember what program I was using then, it looks way better.) I wish I new if the heatsink coming in the mail is better than the one on there now. Maybe you guys know if it looks good? Here's the one coming in the mail. Ok, well after I get that BIOS reading I'm going to check the seating and paste on the heatsink then come back and update this message.

Hey DJ, I actually got Dragon Age Inquisition yesterday, super stoked! :) I played just a tiny bit of the beginning yesterday and the settings were automatic, so probably pretty low. I should wait until I get the new Graphics card on Christmas, but I don't know if I can haha :busy: Do you think I should try to wait or just enjoy the change when it comes? I can't decide! Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy as hell when I can up the settings. I have played Dragon Age II a long time ago, but I don't own it and it's long gone so I can't carry over my "story" :( That would be awesome though. Does it let you start off the game with your character having all the same strong weapons and being leveled up too?? Probably not cause that would make it too easy.

Alrighty, thanks again, I appreciate all advice. I'll be back with some more information. Oh yeah.. one more question... if the thermal paste looks like it needs to be redone, assuming I can find some, should I scratch off the dry stuff? And how much should I put on? Thanx ;)

Colin

#11 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

:angry: Horrible night!! Opened the case to replace some fans.. the connections were different so neither fan could be replaced. That sucked so I moved over to check out the CPU. Somehow the CPU was, and still is GLUED to the heatsink by the old thermal paste I guess. Then I, like an idiot, tried to put it back and bent a crap load of pins on my CPU!! Just like that my Christmas and B-day gifts combined are out the window. Now gotta return the graphics card, the game (They probably wont accept it), the fans, and new heatsink on it's way.  All so I can replace the CPU instead... :angry: I'm gonna crawl in bed now and shut my mind off, I'm really bummed. While I'm off crying like a baby maybe you guys could help me pick out a new CPU for around the same price my graphics card was... just about $200. I don't think it'll do much that I'll notice though, my GPU will still suck etc. etc. But no choice.. Thanks for any advice as usual guys!

Colin

EDIT: I took an old CPU from a broken computer and placed that with the heatsink it was with and in ten min. I could smell it burning and had to shut down. I just wanted to see if I could at least access my computer. The older CPU is a Phenom 9500 I believe, I'll check it again in a bit. But could it be a compatibility issue or something?

Yet another edit: I booted up the computer again and ran CPUID HW Monitor to read the temps and saw that the CPU was reporting low temps and was fine. Then I checked my Motherboard temps where there are usually two.. a kinda high one and a low one. But NOW there is a 3rd one and it was over 120 degrees Celsius!! So what does that mean? Did I ruin something else?? 

Edited by Slave2Society7, 13 December 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

Wow that is bad news.  Sorry to hear that.

I've done it myself with an old AMD K6 processor many years ago.  Stupidly, I'd used silicone sealant instead of thermal compound as a TIM (it was a long time ago, really) and of course it dries and creates a strong bond.  Could I get the CPU out? No I could not so I had to yank it.  It bent a lot of pins but I was able to fix it by using the barrel of an autofeed pencil to straighten them out, and the CPU survived.  Given that the pin counts on newer CPU's are much higher, I'm not sure if the same trick will work, they might be too fine, but just putting the idea out there.

A bit late, but if it ever happens in future the thing to do is apply gentle twisting force to the heatsink, and eventually you should be able to break the bond.  This probably won't work if some clown has used silicone sealant :hysterical:  or epoxy to install the heatsink, but for normal thermal compounds, it should do the trick.

As for the temps, can you get a screen grab from HW monitor?  I can say with certainty that nothing in your case should be 120 celsius though.  I just don't trust the outputs from that program always.  EDIT Any burning smell is not a good sign though so it might be just as well not to attempt running it at the moment.  You don't want to cause any further damage.

Edited by jonuk76, 13 December 2014 - 11:59 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

LoL Gee yeah that's a bad one! I hope I didn't use something like silicone.. especially since there was two of us doing it together. :) It did come off with minor work using a flathead, but unfortunately it was well destroyed by then. With my next CPU I'll be pretty nervous applying the paste hah. I did read about straightening out the pins somewhere, but there are too many and some will definitely break off. Also, they are SOO small there's just no way it's gonna happen. You think I can damage the motherboard if I tried placing it back in anyway? Like lose a pin in a socket or something? I'm sure it wouldn't work though. Unfortunately I lost the Phenom 9500 I took from my brothers broken computer because after about 4 years he worked on it again and fixed it... heh just my luck, but it's good for him. Before he took his CPU back I did get a screen shot of the temperature problem. Oh and more importantly, I don't think there was a smell after all because upon booting my computer this morning I got the error "Error starting your operating system". (Again, my luck) After hours of working on it I found out it was trying to boot off of an external drive... So obviously nothing melted or went wrong in all that time it was running. Also the temps. in BIOS looked good, but I'm still a little concerned about this reading. In the screen shot you'll see what I'm talking about circled and that wasn't there before, there had only been two temps under MSI not three. Here we are:

Temps.jpg

Anyway Jon, glad to see you here! I was wondering if you were gonna see what happened to me after all that time picking a graphics card. You know what you're doing obviously, the two things I got that you showed me (The graphics card and the heatsink) would have worked great. The two things I picked on my own (Two fans) don't have the right connections. I'm hoping I can find an adapter that will make them work though because I doubt they'll let me return them. I noticed on the invoice it says the graphics card is non returnable, just replaceable. So I'm wondering if I have to spend as much money on a cpu as I did that graphics card if it's only replaceable. I really didn't want to do that because my older cpu was fine, everything worked great.. except the games. Either way, whatever I have to spend on a cpu, I'll probably need some help  picking one because it looks like I don't know how to pick compatible things lol. Luckily this forum is great and I know there is usually always someone willing and able to help like you have, but I don't expect to take up all your time. I feel bad even typing a message this long :\ On that note I'm gonna stop typing right..... now

THANKS!!
Colin

#14 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

There is talk about getting a new cheap computer instead of a new CPU, but modern... Torn between the two. Any suggestions? Looking at maybe this computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229616

It has a GeForce GT 720 ... is that better than my old HD6850. I guess that's what really matters to me. I should know the answers to these things, but looks like I've fallen way beyond the times lol :smash:

Thanxxx guys!!

Edited by Slave2Society7, 14 December 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

That computer is cheap for a reason.  The GT 720 is not a graphics card for gaming, its specifications indicate as much.  It is a very low-end part.  Would it be possible to salvage the RAM (If it is DDR3), case, hard drive, optical drive, and power supply while purchasing a new motherboard, CPU, and Windows license?  You said you already got an R9 GPU.  This may be more than a cheap $400-ish PC, but you will get more for your money.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users