Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faster Light

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zylorarchy

Zylorarchy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hello, recently I had a catastrophic Malware infection as a result of downloading Pivot 4.

I managed to remove many of the infections, manually and with the help of scanners. These included:
  • Vesteron
  • Pro Optimizer
  • Countless trojans
  • BrowseFox
Finally it came to "Faster Light" ads which proved most difficult as both AVG and Malwarebytes failed toe even detect it. Eventually I arrived at Hitmanpro which seemingly removed it. Upon my laptop rebooting after it was "removed", it would seem that my laptop was malware free and no malicious ads would appear. However, upon opening one specific website, to my horror the webpage became filled with these awful ads. I immediately went to other sites, but it would seem Faster Light infected this one specific website (htXXp://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Creepypasta_Wiki) and yet NO other sites (originally, most websites were "infected"). 

I ran some scans again and while Malwarebytes found some Adware, it was in the recycle bin and in any case, that was removed before discovering that Wikia was still infected. What I do not understand, is why one specific website was still infected. I ran a scan (after this discovery) with Hitmanpro again and nothing came up. I went into the "temp" folder and found BSI.exe and found that it could potentially easily host harmful content. Despite AVG stating the whole temp file was harmless. I decided (please don't judge me if this was dumb) to "shred" BSI.exe and shred any other folders which were both recent with names I did not recognise. I then ran CCleaner and the above website is now FREE of any Faster Light ads at all. 

However, despite my shredding, one folder simply refuses to go... It was already empty, but despite being shredded and deleted, it vanishes and then comes back! It is called "WTU_VPROT" if that means anything to anyone. 

Below is a link to the temp folder, today being the 6th, the malware struck near-ish midnight. If anything there looks like it needs to go, let me know. 

But my real question is, is Faster Light gone? I was so sure it was until that ONE wesbite still had its ads on. But, now that website is free of them too? Did deleting BSI.exe help? Was it CCleaner disposing of the final remnants of Faster Light? Help please!

Moe Edit; Broke possible dangerous link ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 05 December 2014 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zylorarchy

Zylorarchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

The link:

http://gyazo.com/038fbbb00fd2db293ef558348f35ea46

Edited by Zylorarchy, 05 December 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Zylorarchy

Zylorarchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Also, are "Adchoices" legitimate? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users