Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help in Computer BIOS Setup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 russell887

russell887

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

I'm having a problem,  I installed windows 7 alongside Ubuntu and could not get ubuntu to boot up right so I uninstalled it. I used a program to get rid of the GRUB and boot into windows 7 without it and this was successful.Now I had to delete the ubuntu from my drive,this was successful as well but when it came time to extend the windows partition I had trouble.The extend partition command was greyed out and I might have did something wrong because when I reboot now I get the Dell splash screen but can only get into setup.I tried getting into the boot menu by pressing the f12 button but can't.It use to get past the splash screen and ask to press f1 to boot system but won't anymore.  

The System is: Dell Dimension C521 

BIOS Version: 1.1.2 (11/08/06) 

Processor Type: AMD Sempron Processor 3400+   - 1.80 GHz -

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2014 - 08:18 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

I used a program to get rid of the GRUB

What program?

Did you restore the Windows MBR?

The extend partition command was greyed out

When you installed Ubuntu how did you do it?

Did you create a partition?

Did Linux create a partition?

How was the partition formated? Fat32, NTSF, Ext2,3,4?

I think the Ubuntu partition is ext4 and will need to be formated to NTFS, Also there should be a second smaller partition on the disk that Ubuntu will have created as a swap partition, The swap partition will be the same size as the OP's ram.

#3 russell887

russell887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

I installed Ubuntu alongside win7 by using installation boot disk and let linux create a partition but not really sure how it was formated. The program I used was easyBCD. All I want to do is be able to boot from disk and reinstall win 7. 

I went in to set up and tried changing the boot sequence but it did not help.When I went back into the setup to see the boot sequence had gone back to the way it was with floppy as #1

Edited by russell887, 05 December 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:50 PM

Have you still got the Linux disk?

Have you tried putting the Linux Disk into the CD/DVD drive and tried booting that way?

The program I used was easyBCD

I have never used this software so I will bow out for now, somebody who has used this software will help you.

Members are advised that before they try to install Linux, That they drop into Linux & Unix section where we can guide them in the best way of trying Linux without affecting Windows

#5 russell887

russell887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

everything with useing easyBCD went well....I was able to boot into windows without the linux GRUB screen appearing first.It was what I did after booting into windows and trying to merge the drive space with the deleted ubuntu space.I even tried installing the linux cd again but my computer wont boot from cd drive...it use to before all this I could get into the boot menu by pressing f12 but not since trying to reclaim that disk space.   This was Using Windows built-in Disk Management utility.  

This is an older desktop...one of two Dell's I got my hands on that were not working but i got both up and running it's kind of a screw up on my part what I did when everything was running so well!!    Just hungry for disk space...anyway's if worse comes to worse the computer has two nice 2 GB memory sticks I can plug into computer #1 to give that one a boost but I'd really like to get this one running again as the graphics are much better.

Edited by russell887, 06 December 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

All I want to do is be able to boot from disk and reinstall win 7. 

There is no Win 7 drivers support at the Dell site.

I have no idea how you installed Win 7 but any recovery partition which might have been available...would be no solution for reinstalling Win 7.  If you have a Win 7 DVD, you could also try the Startup Repair function, using that disk.

Louis

IMO, best thing to do is to the hard drive to another system, delete all partitions, then reinstall.

#7 russell887

russell887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

The hard drive in question has already been moved to another system and win 7 has been installed.The system though is another thing....The original Hard drive for that system had ubuntu only installed on it and when I put it in the other system (a Dell Dimension 4700c) it booted the ubuntu fine where on other hand installed in the Dell Dimension C521 it would not boot the ubuntu....I only was able to enter the systems set up.Now as we speak I'm installing win 7 on the Hard drive that had ubuntu only on it.I had to format the drive using an active boot disk to NTSF.I think the Dell Dimension C521 has some kind of other problem because it would not boot the ubuntu.I'll try installing the hard drive in the system with win 7 on it to see if it will boot. 

Well I installed the hard drive in the Dell Dimension C521 with no luck....It didn't boot and all I can do is enter setup.Anyway's the Dimension C521 had two Corsair memory sticks that are 2GB each which I installed in the Dimension 4700c which has never been used before.The system was untouched with no operating system when I got it....I'll just have to upgrade the graphics thats all.

Edited by russell887, 06 December 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi

Please note that during changes of components, the original Mother Board is the "Legal Version" of Windows.

All other components are considered as extras, and only the original M/B will accept a new HDD or most other components.

It sounds like you are attempting to make a workable system by interchanging parts from

The hard drive in question has already been moved

I'll try installing the hard drive in the system with win 7 on it to see if it will boot.

The system was untouched with no operating system when I got it 

I'll just have to upgrade the graphics thats all.

The system was untouched with "no operating system" when I got it << This means it has never been Registered to Windows (as per what You are saying)

Purchase a Windows Key, or just use Linux / Ubuntu type systems ...........

Thank You -

#9 russell887

russell887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

Well the Dell Dimension 4700c has win 7 installed and is in the process of updating now....the RAM upgrade went really well,system is running really smooth.When I got this system the guy told me it's never had an operating system installed...I could tell that the fans had never or very rarely been run.Kind of funny to find a "Hannah Montana" CD in the drive with "Win XP Pro and seriel written on it"  lol !!!     

I've purchased several copies of win 7 installation dvd's off E-Bay, 

Anyway's thank's for the reply's       

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

If you would like to try Linux please pop into the Linux & Unix section and we can talk about NON DESTRUCTIVE way's of doing so.

Edited by NickAu, 06 December 2014 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users