Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 5755 laptop intel wifi won't connect to D-link DIR-615 wifirouter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm helping someone with a D-link DIR-615 wifi router and an Acer Aspire 5755 laptop with intel wifi. They had been using WEP and everything was working fine. Now they switched to WPA2 and the laptop can no longer connect to the router. It can see the ssid and try to connect, but it always fails to connect. The laptop has windows 7.

Anything I can try to do to fix it? (Not willing to go back to WEP of course)

Other laptops with windows 8, other various devices from tablets to smart tv's, all connect to the router no problem, it's only this specific Acer laptop that won't.

[note: I tried rebooting the laptop and unplugging the router multiple times, and it didn't help] Also I got windows to forget the previous network, and had 0 wireless networks saved (cleared that out) before trying to connect again to the router)  And I have connected this laptop to wifi at another house after the fact.

Edited by bludshot, 05 December 2014 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Can you supply the wireless device and vendor ID in Device Manager? Right click Wireless Adapter > Properties > Details tab. Select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

You connected elsewhere with WPA2 security? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:16 AM

It's:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0082&SUBSYS_13018086&REV_34

When I connected elsewhere it was to an iphone hotspot. I assume that uses WPA2, I don't know (and I can't check)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

If you connect to a Wifi Hotspot that requires no password, then there is no encryption. I would install the driver here.

The larger download includes Intel's Wireless software which I would use. The smaller download is just the driver. 

You can see if the manufacturer of the laptop has the same driver version but I believe intel's own wireless drivers are very good.

I would create a system restore point before install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:15 AM

(this iphone hotspot does require a password)

After having the problem, I uninstalled the intel software (not to fix the problem, but because I am uninstalling several acer bloatware things) and I uninstalled the driver along with it by mistake. Then I installed the driver only, from the Acer web site. I haven't had a chance to see if it works yet, but I don't think it will because it should be the exact same driver it had before.

So it's great that you suggested this and gave me that link, because the intel driver there is much newer than the one on the Acer site. Soon I'll try it as it is now (with the reinstalled old driver from acer) and if that doesn't work I'll try the new intel driver.

#7 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

I kept trying to install the smaller file, but it would just show this weird animated icon on the screen and then do nothing apparently.

Removed the device in device manager and tried to install the larger file. It refused to install because it said I have the older version of the software installed. Uninstalled the older version, rebooted, windows seemed to add the same old driver back (I checked the version). Then I installed the larger file, which also installed intel pro set software stuff. I checked the driver version and it was newer. Right clicked on the pro set thing and picked Let windows handle wifi.

Anyhow, with the new driver, wifi works again. The old one just couldn't handle the wpa2 with this router, apparently. Thanks again for the answer JohnC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users