Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel and MS Word "cannot open file"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lawrance77

lawrance77

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Excel cannot open the file " " because the  file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches.

Files got corrupted at time of virus removal. also have and use Carbonite backup if that helps.

Already tried:

1. Open MS Excel in your system.
  2. Click on File tab > Open. Or press Ctrl+O.
  3. Locate the corrupted XLSX file and select it.
  4. Click on the arrow shown beside the Open button.
  5. Click on Open and Repair in the list.

Still wont open files, any help would be appreciated 

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2014 - 09:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind! ~Author Unknown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Uninstall/reinstall MS Office...update for all SPs...update for all critical updates.

Then try.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#3 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

Is it just Excel and Word and are you 100% sure of that?? Check more file extension! I think problem could  be caused by malware on the affected machine that is encrypting files.

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 07:10 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ransomware/Crypto malware?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yes it is possible but little long shot :D, but I really seen same behavior without screen for paying unlock of files.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.

#6 lawrance77

lawrance77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the responses, 

as far as malware... I have ran malwarebytes, adwcleaner and long time favorite combofix. I have also ran tdsskiller. I believe the system is clean. I have not tried uninstall re install of office suite yet.  But i will try that next.

I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind! ~Author Unknown

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

You indicated in your first post that the files got corrupted at time of virus removal. As typical with most ransomware, removing the infection and cleaning the system does not restore the corrupted files. See this Microsoft Excel Support Team Blog topic..."Excel cannot open the file (filename) because the file format or file extension is not valid." opening Office files

This problem has been confirmed to be caused by malware on the affected machine. There are now two known variants of malware which causes this problem: Win32/Crilock.A and Win32/Buma!rts. They have both been identified as a new family of ransomware... If infected, Safety Scanner should clean the virus from the system, however it will not repair corrupted files. You will still need to restore those from a backup. A detailed analysis of affected files submitted to Microsoft for investigation has revealed the files are encrypted with a private and public key. The files cannot be recovered without the private key, which is more than likely held by the attacker.

There are other causes of file corruption in Excel and there are repair instructions in this topic. However, since Word document files are also corrupted, I suspect it was due to the malware as noted by the Microsoft team.

#8 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

It would be much easier to pinpoint solution if he only checks every possible file extension on the PC that Crypto infects.

List of  file extension targeted by Crypto from MalwareBytes site:

3fr, accdb, ai, arw, bay, cdr, cer, cr2, crt, crw, dbf, dcr, der, dng, doc, docm, docx, dwg, dxf, dxg, eps, erf, indd, jpe, jpg, kdc, mdb, mdf, mef, mrw, nef, nrw, odb, odm, odp, ods, odt, orf, p12, p7b, p7c, pdd, pef, pem, pfx, ppt, pptm, pptx, psd, pst, ptx, r3d, raf, raw, rtf, rw2, rwl, srf, srw, wb2, wpd, wps, xlk, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx

If none of that files with some of that extensions which he had on PC and not creating them now to test is not working, then he 100% had malware infection, cleaned it but lost access to all files on PC. Been there done that and only lucky thing I had 24h old backup, hope you have the same if this is the issue.

Edited by splico1985, 06 December 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

It is not CryptoLocker...that infection has been dead for awhile now. It most likely is TorrentLocker or a copycat of some kind.

#10 stefen_hoody

stefen_hoody

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

When an Excel or Word file is corrupted, and the build-in repair function in Excel or Word does not work, then you can try several other methods to recover it:

1.(Free Method) Third, there are also free tools from third-parties that can open and read Microsoft Excel files, for example,

1.1 OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org. This is a very famous open source project that is designed to support Office file formats, including Excel files. The software can run under Windows.

1.2 LibreOffice at http://www.LibreOffice.org. Another free office suite.

1.3 KingSoft Spreadsheets at http://www.kingsoftstore.com/office/free-excel. This is a free Windows tool that can open Excel files.

1.4 Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/ also support to load Excel files.

Sometimes when Excel fails to open your file, these tools may be able to open it successfully. If that is the case, then after the Excel file is opened, you can just save it as a new file which will be error-free.

2.(Free Method) For xlsx and docx files, they are actually a group of files compressed in Zip file format. Therefore, sometimes, if the corruption is only caused by the Zip file, then you can use Zip repair tools such as WinRAR at http://www.rarlab.com to repair the file, as follows(taking xlsx file as an example):

2.1 Assuming the corrupt Excel file is a.xlsx, then you need to rename it to a.zip
2.2 Start WinRAR, go to "Tools > Repair Archive" to repair a.zip and generated a fixed file a_fixed.zip.
2.3 Rename a_fixed.zip back to a_fixed.xlsx
2.4 Using Excel to open a_fixed.xlsx.

There may still be some warnings when opening the fixed file in Excel, just let ignore it and Excel will try to open and repair the fixed file. If the file can be opened successfully, then you can just save the contents into another error-free file.

3.(Non-Free Method) If all above methods do not work, then you may try third-party tools such as DataNumen Excel Repair at

http://www.datanumen.com/excel-repair/

It supports both .xls and .xlsx format. I have used it to recover some Excel files successfully. It provides a free demo version so that you can try to see if the data you want can be recovered or not.

For word file, there is also a similar product called DataNumen Word Repair at

http://www.datanumen.com/word-repair/

Good luck!

Excel cannot open the file " " because the  file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches.

Files got corrupted at time of virus removal. also have and use Carbonite backup if that helps.

Already tried:

1. Open MS Excel in your system.
  2. Click on File tab > Open. Or press Ctrl+O.
  3. Locate the corrupted XLSX file and select it.
  4. Click on the arrow shown beside the Open button.
  5. Click on Open and Repair in the list.

Still wont open files, any help would be appreciated 

#11 lawrance77

lawrance77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks guys, I used carbonite backup to restore the corrupted files to a previous time.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users