Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live mail frozen & downloads/uploads cant be completed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TPE

TPE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi -

Searching for some answers to a problem that's suddenly affecting my PC ; and found this site ;
(Was able to post the confirmation /activation link off my iphone )

For no apparent reason I seem to have a problem with my home computer that runs Windows 7.

Firstly I found that on opening Windows Live Mail - it would freeze ; I cant access mail.
Usually the note is that 'Windows Live Mail' did not shut down correctly last time I used it. -

I can however go to mail.live.com and log in there OK.

I then thought I would do a basic system restore - but for some reason the last restore point I now have is only a day old ; when the problem began.

I have had the same computer/system operating fine for many years.

I wondered if a firewall was stopping something - so temporarily deleted AVG ;  That didn't help at all, so I went to download it back again - but cant.

Likewise I cant download pictures to facebook for example, although I canopen Fb OK and  write/post there.

I checked that I had ample space on the computer, as a reason I can no longer download things - and yes, that is fine, ample space left.

To summarize ; I cant download anything, upload anything, and windows live freezes a minute after I open it, not letting me read emails or do  anything.

Apart from that, as far as Browsing/google etc all else is fine- as normal.
I can not think of any activity Ive done to alter settings, and rarely look at/download anything that may have been infected or caused the problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

p.s. - I came to this site after searching for similar problems - and noted the comment to 'open task manager'
I have just done that, but don't really know what Im looking for ! Although I do see it states windows live 'processing' -

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

I would like you to repair Windows Live Mail to make sure that it's not corrupted.

To do this, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure all your junk mail settings are set up and saved the way you want and close out of Live Mail.
  2. Go to Control Panel then click Programs.
  3. Click Programs and Features.
  4. Right click Windows Live Essentials 2011 then click Uninstall/Change.
  5. Select Repair all Windows Live programs in the dialog box.
  6. After the repair is done, reboot when asked.

Problem with downloading is there any message or something? More information please.

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 04:51 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 TPE

TPE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

Hi Splico ;

Thanks for the quick reply/info.
I have tried the repair essentials 2012, along with a delete and reinstall -
I tried again just now - and although initially I thought it had helped, I soon got the message that Windows live had stopped working, then that was followed by a restarting notice, and this cycle continues - ( It actually becomes difficult to close the non-functioning Windows live screen)
Also of course along with the windows email problem, is the fact I can not upload or download pictures/programmes from anywhere on the net.

Edited by TPE, 05 December 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Try this:

1) Open Windows Live Mail

2) On the left of the home button you should see a arrow pointing down, Click this to get the pull down

then click on options, next click mail....

3) On the tabs on top you should see a tab called Read.

click on read tab, 

4) Now you should see 4 boxes that can be checked...

MAKE SURE THE BOX for READ ALL MESSAGES IN PLAIN TEXT IS CLICKED

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.

#5 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

Do you know where Windows Live Mail stores mail databases? Maybe you try to move them and let application recreate it.

#6 TPE

TPE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Cant action the READ tab as once windows live is opened it freeze's / or comes up with the not responding message. 

I think this is an internal/PC problem rather than windows mail - as I can access mail on my phone or at mail.live.com -

I also note that when I check security, windows security centre is highlighted in Red ; and when I try to turn it from turned off to 'turn on now'  - I get the notification that 'Windows security center cant be started'  - not sure if this is significant or not ? 

Edited by TPE, 05 December 2014 - 09:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users