Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start After Motherboard Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate PC with the following components:

PSU - Seasonic 500Watts
Processor - Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad (2.50GHz/4M/1333/05A/Socket: 775)
Graphics Card - VTX3D Radeon HD5450 1GB PCIe DVI HDMI 2GB
Optical Drive - Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare
Hard Drive 1 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Hard Drive 2 - 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green
Hard Drive 3 - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
RAM - Kingston 2 x 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin
USB 3.0 PCI-E Card - Orico PVU3-5O2U
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DS

I've just installed a new ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 motherboard and now when I turn it on I get some text flashing up very quickly and then a blank screen with a cursor in the top left. 

When I go into BIOS Setup Utility everything looks fine, but when I go into ASRock Instant Flash it says "No BIOS file found" which is the only thing I can see that might be a problem. I've double checked the motherboard and everything seems to be connected properly.

Please can someone suggest what I should do to get my computer working again?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Did you run the installation /drivers disk that came with the motherboard?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hi,
It seems you can access bios but not further..
Check if there is any beep during post.
Does your keyboard and mouse lights flash during post?
Not familiar with bios flashing in ASRock, but check if you have any bios update on its website using another device. If possible, download the corresponding bios for your motherboard on a flash drive[rarely included on your driver disc] (needed incase), go to bios setting, reset all to default, try booting up.
If machine boots up, but same issue is existing,
take out all daughter boards as well as other devices.
Reseat ram cards, check power connections and boot using the motherboard only with your primary (boot) hard drive.
Now check if the error is there.
If not, let the machine boot to desktop, install all drivers of motherboard (you will have to uninstall all previous mother board drivers as this is a new one) and then run the bios utility.
Chances are that your motherboard couldnt boot your os. If its like that, you may need to reinstall windows in worst case. Check if its the booting issue using a live linux distro like Ubuntu.
If you cant boot the live disc, then you are in need to hard reset bios using the jumbers or by removing backup battery for a few seconds and check. Else flash the bios and check.
Post back if in doubt as well as your inferences...
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:13 AM

My old motherboard was an Asus P5N-E SLI. I uninstalled all its drivers before removing it. There is a beep during post and my keyboard and mouse flash. I tried starting up into Kubuntu 14.04 from the installation DVD and was able to do so successfully. I downloaded the BIOS and put it, both zipped and unzipped, on a CD, an SD card, an external hard drive and all 3 internal hard drives, but when I tried flashing in ASRock Instant Flash, it just said "No BIOS file found every time."

I tried using System Recover from the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD and got the following error message: "This version of System Recover Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows".

I tried unplugging my secondary hard drives and removing my daughter cards and was then able to get to the Windows start screen, but the computer freezes or restarts at that point. When it restarts it asks if I want to launch repair utility. If I say yes it does so and fails. Here are the problem details:

"Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385 
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385 
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21199225
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 4
Problem Signature 07: Corrupt Acl
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033"

I tried removing the battery to reset BIOS which didn't help to load Windows, but the text that flashes up at the start stayed on the screen. It says the following:

"AMIBIOS © American Megatrends, Inc.
G31M-GS BIOS P1.90
CPU : Intel ® Core ™2 Quad CPU  Q8300  @ 2.50GHz
Speed : 2.50 GHz

Press F6 for Instant Flash
Press F11 for Boot Menu
4087MB OK
Auto-Detecting SATAII_1 ...ATAPI CDROM
Auto-Detecting SATAII_2 ...IDE Hard Disk
SATAII_1 : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S 1.03
           Ultra DMA Mode-5
SATAII_2 : WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 01.01A01
           Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Disabled

CMOS Settings Wrong
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F2 or DEL to run Setup
Press F1 to load default values and continue
                                                                   0085"

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

If you remove all drives, does it behave correctly on BIOS menu and or DOS image screen? Did you try loading default settings and also using a newer CMOS battery just in case?

Tekken

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hi,
Thanks for checking and replying..
My humble advice is not to connect any non essential devices (like extra harddisks, daughter boards) untill the issue is sorted out.
If you have loaded the default settings from the BIOS prompt ( you got it like this: "CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F2 or DEL to run Setup
Press F1 to load default values and continue
0085" ), then please edit the BIOS to add correct date and time.
Then again try recovery options from boot disc you have.
Just another query: Can you make it to desktop while in safe mode (either in normal or with command prompt (type explorer.exe ) or with networking)? If yes, does it restart after a while?
Is your windows 7 an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version by chance? I mean you got it with your PC /it is explicitly specified somewhere on sticker showing key / genuinity label?
Something is causing Windows not to load. May be a boot/registry/corefile of windows is not being able to be accessed by Recovery option (which is indicated by the error ' corrupt acl '.
If you have a recovery media / installation disc or a backup with you, please check if its an OEM version. Sometimes, OEM installation is bind to specific mobo config..
I am not much expert in playing with bootmanager and other kernal settings, so cannot tell you how to edit the bcd and other settings. But the last hand option for you will be sadly a clean install.
You may take a backup of your important data using the Kubuntu live environment to be on safe side.
-----
Related resources wrt flashing bios (which wont be necessary anymore as the issue is after POST) :
1) http://asrock.com/feature/InstantFlash/index.asp
2) http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=BIOS
3) http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-GS%20R2.0/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
-----
Please update wrt this...
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

The CMOS battery is brand new. ASRock Instant Flash still doesn't find anything. I've updated the date and time in BIOS. The computer didn't start in safe mode, so I went ahead and reinstalled Windows 7 which went fine. (It isn't OEM.) I installed the motherboard drivers, firewall and antivirus, then I installed the daughter cards and the drivers for those and Google Chrome which all worked fine. The I turned the computer off and attached the two secondary hard drives and now the computer won't start again, even if I unplug them again. Smart mode doesn't work. I tried launch repair, but it failed again. Here are the problem details:

"Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385 
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385 
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: Bad Patch
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033"

#8 Xivel

Xivel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hi, i have the same problem with my ASROCK.

I discover that it will only start up to windows environment if I fully discharge the PC of power (get the plug off the wall, press a few times the the computer power button to make sure theres no juice left in it, and then plug it back on the wall again). This has proven to work every single time for me.

My PC has a Pentium 4 3.6GHz and it is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

From my point of view it looks like there something that that s blocking the system from starting, I would say it could be something like the RAM getting bugged and not being able to clean all the instructions it has after the last shutdown. But this is just my theory.

PS: Forgive me for my English, it's not my main language :)

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Problem Signature 07: Bad Patch

Could there be a problem with the main system drive or have you tried checking the health status by running a diagnostic test?

Tekken

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi,
It may be caused due to bad sector in the harddisk.
Can you please check the drives for errors using checkdisk command ' chkdsk drive: /r ' where drive is the drive letter indicated by windows.
It will be better if you can run such tests on a spare working machine as finding partition letters will be bit difficult in recovery environment.
Also check health of hdds as mentioned by jhayz.
If you are using SATA interace, check if the hard disk with OS is connected as second device after optical drive and cables are intact. In bios, check under storage controllers / SATA if AHCI is enabled. Try toggling it and save settings.
Since the issue occurs when the other two hdds are connected, try narrow it to one if possible.
Hope it helps....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users