Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Green & white lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Howdy, one of my computers while just sitting idle yesterday started to smell as tho it was burning, but no smoke. So i turned it off and unplugged it. Before i turned it off there was green & white small lines running horizonial on the monitor. Any idea on this, my guess is the hard drive but i am no computer repair tech ??? Would it be safe to plug this back in to see what caused this ? Open for suggestions ??

Thanks

Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Before I plugged in in again I would open the case and see if I could identify the source of the smell. It could be a graphics card, if one is installed. If not then it might be the graphics portion of the motherboard. Use a flash light so that you can see clearly all of the nooks and crannies as well as the big pieces. Discoloration and or bulging caps will be clues.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Paraclete for your reply ! That was the 1st thing i did was to pull it apart and see if there was any black around or near any parts. There was nothing that would lead me to pin point a defective part. I'm don't have any extra parts that i could try so i'm just gonna call it a "shot computer" !!

Chuck

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Chuck,

Shooting a computer for what might be a minor problem could be the expensive way to fix it. Did you check if the small came from the power supply? They get 'nasty' when they cook components, and no black shows. If that is the cause then I'm thinking that a power supply is cheaper than a new system. HOWEVER, if this gives you the excuse to get a new system - take it! The technology upgrade will make things easier. Be sure you get the operating system you want. W8.1 is still getting the kinks out.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks again Paraclete (Dick) it was my wifes computer with W7 on it, she only uses it to play Royal Story on Facebook ! I already had to purchase hera new one, so she happy there. I have W 8.1 on mine & never had a problem with it. So i will play withe the brken one come spring , it's to cold in Wyoming to hook it up in my garage,wife say no to trying in our house ! LOL  Thanks for help !

Chuck

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Understand cold, under stand no, we'll see you in the Spring

Til then

Stay well and surf safe