Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skyrim fail... What do I do now?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

I had been having a problem with Skyrim where it was telling me that a certain DLL was missing. I can't remember the name of it now, because I figured my solution would fix everything. I backed up stuff, and factory reset my computer, because I usually do that once a year anyway. Skyrim worked back when my computer was newish, so I figured it would again. But it didn't. Only this time, it was a different error, which is the current error. Before, it wouldn't even start the launcher.  This time, when I try to start the game, I get the following error:

"the program can't start because X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I looked up the error, which seems somewhat common, and most say that instead of just downloading the dll, to install DirectX, which is where the DLL came from. Only problem, for some stupid reason, I can't find ANY version of DirectX anywhere! Further research told me that the latest DirectX was included with Windows 8.1 update, so I spent all day yesterday updating my computer on past updates, and all night updating it to Windows 8.1. Still error. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, tried again. Still problem. So, what now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Run the Web installer here. Right click the downloaded exe file > Run as administrator.  Windows 8.1 does not include earlier versions of directx runtime files.

#3 Emankcin

Emankcin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

Ok. Thanks. That worked. The problem I was having was I was having trouble finding that file. Microsoft buries it pretty deep. Skyrim working fine now. Next I need to install my video drivers to improve the graphics.

#4 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

Take a look at the manufacturer and find the drivers from the appopriate website Emankcin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users