Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The file <filename> is not an Outlook data file (.pst)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

Alright, I know many people have seen this error when trying to add a .pst file in Outlook. Needless to say, I am having this problem now. I've done research and practically every site and forum I've been to says to use scanpst.exe. Well, here's the problem: when I use this .pst file in scanpst.exe, it pops up the below error:

"The Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file <filename>. No Information can be recovered."

This is a backup of an original .pst file that got lost when the user's computer was re-imaged. I know you can add .pst backups into Outlook because I've done it. And I can also add a different .pst file in Outlook from the same exact folder.

I've also tried something called "Recoveryfix for Outlook Evaluation" but this will only scan the .pst file and won't let me do anything with it afterwards.

I've also tried adding it in Outlook 2010 and I've tried adding it an Outlook 2013, both popped up the same error.

Does anybody have a fix or have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

Update:

I somewhat gave up on it. I realize now that the .pst file is almost 5 GB and I know that they become unstable after 2 GB. I'm assuming because this .pst file is 3 GB over the recommended size that it became corrupt, especially since scanpst.exe doesn't work on it. My apologies for wasting space on the forum. If possible, an admin can delete this post if they'd like or can keep it for anyone else who runs into this? :)

#3 smithazus

smithazus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

Hi,

For Outlook 2010/2013, PST size limit is 50 GB. Before adding PST file into MS Outlook application, you should diagnose the status of PST file. If file is corrupt then it can’t import/add into email application.

Due to numerous limitations, ScanPST.exe fails to repair damage parts of Outlook PST blocks. In this scenario, you can try advanced Outlook repair program.

Check reference of  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for PST repair methodology, mentioned below:

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/an-insight-into-stellar-phoenix-outlook.html

Regards,

Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users