Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux MInt 17.1 "Rebecca" Released!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:28 AM

We have a new LInux MInt, an update to version 17, in the MATE & Cinnamon versions. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Rebecca, or simply Linux Mint 17.1. Unlike prior short Mint versions, such as 14, 15 & 16, 17.1 will be just as 17, supported through April 2019. New features, including a new logon screen, and other under the hood enhancements. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php#lts

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Xfce & KDE versions has yet to be released, and may depend on outside factors. 

Also, and it should be available now, it's possible to upgrade from the Update Manager. Be sure to follow any instruction given if choosing this path. 

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725

Linux Mint 17.1 is a great new version, and as others, will likely become the best Mint ever. Any Windows users who are reading this Topic, this is good as it gets, a near drop in replacement for your OS, or to dual boot with. Most anyone can learn how to run Linux MInt, and we'll be more than happy to assist.  :)

Read on & discover Linux Mint 17.1. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

cat1092, this is an excellent thread and just what I was looking for.  Do you plan on Upgrading any time soon?  I'm a bit hesitant doing so right now, no hurry for me - I will wait it out to see what the outcome is.  I have read many posts with good feedback, especially for those with a standard LMM17 Install, so I am quite excited.  Perhaps this will even stop me from installing LMC17 to my HDD, whoo-hoo! and prevent any headaches for me.

Very exciting! I am wondering if my system will support Compiz, wow that looks really cool!

Edited by pcpunk, 05 December 2014 - 08:55 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

I am wondering if my system will support Compiz, wow that looks really cool!

Yes.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:24 AM

pcpunk, I actually installed 17.1 to one of my computers while still in Preview a couple of weeks ago, the Upgrade option wasn't available then. So far, it's the only one that I've changed, but plan to tryout the upgrade option on another this weekend. 

Have been kind of busy, so haven't been able to get all four of the computers that has Mint upgraded. In fact, still haven't got Mint 17 back onto my main PC yet, have had a lot going on, this is a hectic time of the year for me. 

Hopefully, I'll have Mint 17.1 on all of my computers by the middle of the month. So, one down & three to go. 

Glad to hear you're delighted about the new Upgrade option. Word of warning, backup what you have, your data, whatever you deem valuable. Though this has been successful with most users, there's been a few that's had issues. So it's not a 100% thing, but close to it. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I got the update for the new version of the Update Manager 4.7.8 and the Box is ticked to Update, should I update to this?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hopefully, I'll have Mint 17.1 on all of my computers by the middle of the month. So, one down & three to go. 

I'd be interested in hearing what the differences are between 17 and 17.1 . Pleas, let me know if it is worth the effort to upgrade. For some reason I really doubt there is any noticeable change.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

Of course there is change and it's come pretty cool stuff, you did not look at the link: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php#lts

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Or this vid: 

I tried to use the "Compiz" like function from a live DVD but I could not figure it out, would you tell me how to use it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

I went to the mint forumns and this is what is reported there:

CONS:
- cinnamon loads slower.
- restarting cinnamon is MUCH slower.
- "themes" section is UGLY (my opinion)
- resets all your shortcuts (keyboard)
- resets tiling, snapping, edging & other window rules
- need to reapply your AppArmor rules (if applicable) 

PROS:
- general snappiness & minor response improvement
- updated servers in "software sources" (shows connection speed, instead of a bar/graph)
- added "privacy" to general-settings app (kind of handy)
- power management seems better
- bluetooth seems quicker (find devices & transfer)
- UI seems more crisp (updated libraries)
- multi-monitor detection and settings are better
- better USB-stick detection (i have several makes/models/sizes)

1 I don't want Cinnamon

2 No major improvements

I'll keep it as it is, thanks.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

Let Nixie show you.

http://youtu.be/SJaTA25tpMg

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

I got the update for the new version of the Update Manager 4.7.8 and the Box is ticked to Update, should I update to this?

Yes, otherwise you may not get updates. When I fired up into LM 17 this morning on one computer, it was the first thing shown. Only after I applied the update, then others followed, of which I installed all that applied to me. Note that I don't apply all Level 4 & 5 Updates. In this case, why install a (Level 4) ATI graphic update to a notebook that has only Intel graphics? Nor am I going to install a (Level 5) beta GRUB update. This is the bootloader, no I'd prefer to keep that stable. 

Once all updates were finished & I rebooted, this wasn't required, but I do it to ensure that the updates install properly, I then proceeded to upgrade to LM 17.1. Only took 5 minutes or so, click the "Edit" tab of the Update Manager, there will be an option to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1. It's necessary to click the information links & at least scroll to the bottom of the page, whether or not one cares about the content or not, but I do recommend to read, there will be two of these. One includes that 17.1 will be the one for future upgrades until 2016 arrives, so enjoy a relaxed experience for over a year. :)

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php

Then the Upgrade can continue, a few updates downloads, and the OS files re-installs itself in front of one's eyes. At the end, there will be a prompt to reboot & it's over. 5-10 minutes total for most users. 

Linux Mint 17.1 MATE or Cinnamon successfully updated! Best upgrade installs (I done two computers) I've ever pulled off.  :thumbup2:

And to think, the first computer that I upgraded to 17.1 was the hard way, creating media on a 2GiB SD card, though it was still a RC at the time. Had no idea it was going to be this painless. 

KDE & Xfce users will have to wait it out, still haven't found anything out in regards to these versions. It's likely that any upgrading will have to come from those forks. MATE & Cinnamon are unique to Mint (created by the team), while KDE & Xfce are not, other Ubuntu based distros uses these, and the Mint Team decided long ago, before 17 was released, that they were no longer waiting for Ubuntu to move before they did between LTS releases. 

So it could be that Mint KDE & Xfce users may have to wait until the next LTS for an upgrade, though not to worry, updates are continual through April 2019. There will be another LTS release way before then. 

Cat

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks NickAu1 and cat1092!  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

Don't forget Nixie! :)

She has some of the best YouTube Linux Tutorials around. 

Cat

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

I'd be interested in hearing what the differences are between 17 and 17.1 . Pleas, let me know if it is worth the effort to upgrade. For some reason I really doubt there is any noticeable change.

bmike1, there is a very noticeable change, and one is seen as soon as the computer boots. The Logon screen is now full of scenery, and actually changes while keying in password. MATE boots faster also, though I cannot vouch one way or the other about Cinnamon. Maybe someone else can, what comes from other forums don't count here. We know nothing about those machine configurations, for starters. Cinnamon requires more recent graphics hardware to function at it's best. Nor do we know the first thing about those installs, for an upgrade to be successful, the underlying OS structures must be in excellent condition. Also, Clem himself recommends not to point to PPA's from Ubuntu 14.10. Beginning with his first response in Post #2 of the comments. 

The entire Linux Mint 17 family of OS's has been to date & will continue to be built on the base of Ubuntu 14.04 & will not change until the next Ubuntu LTS is released. Those whom adds later Ubuntu PPA's are asking for troubles. 

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725

As to effort, it was as effortless as could be. Unlike another infamous OS widely discussed that ends with .1 that was a documented disaster for millions of users. That was the very reason why I imaged the first computer upgraded to 17.1.

Hopefully some Cinnamon users will report their experiences here. As I stated above, it's always best to image a computer before making a major change, and surely by now, most all OS's will have this warning displayed. 

Who said that Linux OS's don't have good looks?  

Cat

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

O geez, what do I have here guys, this is something about the new Update Manager I would think.

zslto5.png

j0dzbc.png

Edited by pcpunk, 09 December 2014 - 08:11 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users