Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 averyator

averyator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

I am new here and not sure if this post belongs here, if not please point me in the right direction.  
About five month ago I built a pretty basic computer. I have been using a pretty crappy tower since then and today upgraded. I switched out all the internals and set everything up in the new tower. After booting up into windows (8.1) anything connected to any USB port would become unresponsive. Although every minute or so the number lock light would flash signifying the keyboard was receiving power for a split second. I shut down the computer and booted into BIOS and the keyboard worked perfectly. I also checked to make sure the USB ports were enabled in one of the BIOS pages. Even after this the keyboard and mouse refused to work after entering windows. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

You might want to try re-installing your motherboard and chip set drivers, it couldn't hurt.

Edited by alv117, 05 December 2014 - 01:14 AM.

#3 averyator

averyator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

So do you have any suggestions to work around not having internet access on the computer, unable to connect a flash drive, and no optical drive for a CD to update the drivers?

#4 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:47 AM

Have you tried booting into safe mode? I would think that when you installed Win 8.1 it would have installed generic drivers for the USB ports. I have no experience with this O/S and was merely trying to help. I'm certain someone else will have a solution for you.

Best of Luck!

Edited by alv117, 05 December 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#5 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Open Device Manager, uninstall every device under USB on bottom of list. After restart PC and hope for best. 

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#6 averyator

averyator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

So now the computer takes about five or so minutes to boot to the windows loading icon and has a slight chance of actually entering the user log in screen. Through out the entire process I have no power going to my motherboard USB ports, as well as the auxiliary computer case USB ports. This means that even if I do make it to the log in screen I can't sign in, let alone enter BIOS during boot up. I have asked several friends for help and they are just as confused as I am. We tried resetting CMOS, reinstalling the RAM sticks, only running off one stick of RAM, and I also plugged my hard drive into my friend's computer and it worked fine. I even took his hard drive ran it on my computer and it made it all the way to the login screen where I was still unable to use the keyboard or mouse. Any help would be super appreciated as I am not sure what to do from here. I didn't know switching cases would be this much of a hassle.

#7 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

I think your motherboard had contact with PC case while turned on maybe damaged permamently. Do not take it as solution just check if  your motherboard is sitting as it should in case. Only thing I can remember to check with that symptom.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#8 averyator

averyator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thank you splico, you were right something happened to the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users