Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Car Hacking?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techguy1313

techguy1313

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

So with the amount of computers being used in the auto industry how real of threat are hacking attacks against cars going to be and how much control do you think someone would be able to gain with a car take over?

http://vincee.com/2014/09/29/car-hacking/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 December 2014 - 12:06 AM.
moved from Speak Easy to General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

Yes watch this.

http://youtu.be/YTOUArz3bNU

http://youtu.be/4_bo_uYPP4Q

#3 techguy1313

techguy1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:29 AM

Can you imagine what the world of car thefts is going to look like once driverless cars hit the market? Going to make for one crazy movie

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

The security risks in terms of theft are not all that high. The pattern in the UK at least is that thieves break into houses to steal car keys to steal cars with.

As with the rest of the 'internet of things' there are real security concerns over such things as data security and privacy as well as external interference. I remember reading an article recently in which it was claimed that various systems on cars could be interfered with but it was claimed that this did not affect safety systems such as brakes and steering.

With regard to driverless cars - currently being developed by Google and others - theft is unlikely to be a problem as the anticipated business model for these vehicles is a rental one rather than an ownership one. This makes sense if you consider that you won't have to pay a driver to bring the car to you. My wife and I have two cars - hers hasn't been out of its garage at all in the last 24 hours and mine has been used for a total of perhaps one hour. This is a fairly silly ownership / usage model if you think about it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 techguy1313

techguy1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

I was watching some show (I can't remember which one) but it was about a new form of public transportation that was kind of like a monorail style system but with self driving pods that where used to transport people around. I really wish i could remember what it was called but with that one of the risks they talked about was a hacker taking it over and using it to as a weapon to attack buildings or the system itself. Personally I feel like that is an extreme example but some one board seems like they could in theory utilize it or hijack an automated system if they did have some kind of ambition. Also I am in agreement with you on the rental. In the long run that would make things much easier and make more sense from a few different angles.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Current hackings were just to unlock the cars and steal the contents, not able to start it yet but I'm sure they'll figure it out.  Socfisticated theft.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Once again, a warning that simple technologies which worked (mechanical locks with electronic extra security measures which only work via physical electrical contact) don't need updating with more advanced technologies which still work but have many more ways to go wrong.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users