Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trovi browser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reducto

reducto

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

I already posted in the other thread and seems to have resolved my hijacking issue, but I have a question.

Can this trovi/conduit browser hijacker steal my personal info even if I did not input any into the infected search browser?

Could they be tracking all my financial info and etc via rootkits right now? I am beyond paranoid as someone told me I should wipe my hard drive. I am not sure what to think. Thank you for the clarification.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Your Conduit/Trovi browser hijacking topic is here.

Conduit is a toolbar engine installed (bundled) with other free software which allows users to add applications directly to their browser without a community toolbar. Conduit offers a distribution option for Conduit-powered offerings and is used in order to generate ad revenue for the company.

How do I earn money with bundles?
By offering (bundling) a Community Toolbar in your software installer, you are boosting the Community Toolbars installs. The Active Rewards program pays you based on the number of daily active users of your Community Toolbar according to the Three Tiers Table. If you are not yet a member of the Active Rewards program, you can join through the Make Money tab.

Conduit Community Toolbar Help Center

Trovi is an enhanced online search engine also found bundled with other software.

While not explicitly malware or an infection in the typical sense, Conduit products (Toolbar, Search Protect) and Trovi are more accurately classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) because they are often installed stealthily without knowledge or consent from the end user. Bundled software can often be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine, and user profile corruption.

PUPs do not fall into the same categories as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots, and that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them. One characteristic of PUPs and other junkware is that they insert themselves (components) into various areas throughout a computer's operation system to include hidden folders and windows registry. As such it is not uncommon for security scanners to detect numerous files, folders and registry settings after repeated scans are performed.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 johnnyedee

johnnyedee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Reducto,

Happened upon your posting regarding "trovigo" search engine hijacking. Had the similar experience even after uninstalling chrome and performing all steps given by the good tech savvy individuals on this site. I found an app that I feel is better than Adwcleaner, and Junkware removal tool (JRT).  Try adware-removal-tool v3.9.1. It actually sited that nasty little bugger, and remnants of malware and pups that had been removed in the past that  Adwcleaner, JRT, HitmanPro, or Malwarebytes failed to pick up on.

johnny d

Edited by johnnyedee, 06 December 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

When searching for malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or using a free removal tool.

While this particular site hosts download links for several well known and trusted tools, the Adware Removal Tool v3.9.1 is developed by the techsupportall.coml team.
adware.png

Please note that some of the tools hosted by this site are older tools no longer supported by their developers. Others may even be unauthorized versions so I would be skeptical of using those download links.

Further, the following note is typically included at other sites which advertise for TechSupportAll:

For Support:- Please contact us for any additional help at our official email addressinfo@techsupportall.com, we are happy to assist you.

While the offer may be legitimate, we do not know who the people who would be providing any such support. So again, I would be skeptical of asking for help.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users