Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to SSD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

So currently I have a mechanical drive in my rig and am hoping to finally upgrade my storage to SSD.

I currently have a 1.5tb hard drive and need SSDs covering that space, so I decided on either:

2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-147-362

Or ^ that and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194

I don't know too much about storage drive mechanics but I am wondering how I could set up these SSDs together as one drive to then transfer my data into, or if I should leave them seperate with my OS installed on one and other stuff on the other. I have heard that RAID is some kind of configuration that allows this but I am unsure how that works.

Thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

As far as transfering or cloning to the ssd that's possible and depends on how filled that 1.5T is and if it's been partitioned, just what exactly do you want to save is the question? I would do a cleanup of it first and uninstall everything not needed in the operating system. If the OS will all fit then clone it to a 500 ssd and use the 1T ssd for games, downloads, clone of OS and large installs. This is where performance comes into play and transfering files to and from the 500 and the 1T..

Then use the 1.5T as also a clone/backup storage of the two SSD's. As far as raid goes you need 2 or more of the same size, type of drives anyways. IE: If you have 2x 500GB ssd's and make a raid you still only have 500GB. Unless you absolutely need a raid and can afford it then go for it, but otherwise I would stay away from it and continue to use JBOD (just a bunch of discs). Raiding especially with SSD will hit you in the wallet in a big way.

Edited by technonymous, 04 December 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#3 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Wanted to save everything I needed, so was planning on doing that kind of clean up. As far as getting rid of unnecessary data is there anything you would recommend aside from uninstalling and going through user files?

So I would be able to just run the two SSDs with separate data on them but together when in use? I can load them up like you've described and simply run my PC for all my OS and files to all be together?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

I would move the files songs, movies, installers, ISO's everything that can be moved to the 1TB, then repartition the 1.5T's free space so you have room to move files around and create a clone of C: to like D: on the 1.5TB before or cloning directly to the 500SSD just in case something happens like a corrupt MBR. I would also run cmd as admin and type powercfg -h off That turns off hibernation and deletes the 6GB or so hidden file hiberfil.sys No need to clone over 6G's of empty space. When you have everything on a platter drive you have to wait for read/writes. Having seperate fast SSD drives you can start taking more advantage of multitasking and processor affinity.

Edited by technonymous, 05 December 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

Normally, most people use an SSD to store the OS and programs on while leaving a traditional hard drive for everything else.  The reason is that programs launched on the SSD will load faster, but data such as music, movies, pictures, etc., will not load that much faster unless you have gigantic files.

3939.png

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

Right you want the OS on one ssd. However, you also want Backups, games, large files programs installed on another ssd. That's where those SSD's will shine. Movies, songs etc on the slower drive. As long as you're not moving those media files or doing video editing of them. In any case having seperate drives increases the performance. Multitasking becomes much better. With multi core affinity you can schedule a backup, play a game and download all at the same time on seperate drives. Of course RAID and Clustering is great to have, but with 1T prices sitting at 500 bucks a pop.

#7 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

Right you want the OS on one ssd. However, you also want Backups, games, large files programs installed on another ssd. That's where those SSD's will shine. Movies, songs etc on the slower drive. As long as you're not moving those media files or doing video editing of them. In any case having seperate drives increases the performance. Multitasking becomes much better. With multi core affinity you can schedule a backup, play a game and download all at the same time on seperate drives. Of course RAID and Clustering is great to have, but with 1T prices sitting at 500 bucks a pop.

Why would you want back-ups on an SSD ?  What gains do you achieve with that ?    They take up a lot of space, and SSD lifespan.

I have my OS, photo editing progs, and Battlefield 4 on one SSD (BF4 is the only multiplayer game I play).  Everything else runs off HDD, and runs fine.

Though with all the black Friday/Christmas deals, I have somehow ended up with a handful of Intel/Samsung 240GB/120GB SSDs, just not sure how I'll use them yet.

#8 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

Normally, most people use an SSD to store the OS and programs on while leaving a traditional hard drive for everything else.  The reason is that programs launched on the SSD will load faster, but data such as music, movies, pictures, etc., will not load that much faster unless you have gigantic files.

So that kind of data's load speed would be the same on a mechanical drive and not affected by an SSD? Is there any benefit of holding all of your data on SSDs or is using both kind of drives all that's necessary?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Why would you want back-ups on an SSD ?  What gains do you achieve with that ?    They take up a lot of space, and SSD lifespan.

I have my OS, photo editing progs, and Battlefield 4 on one SSD (BF4 is the only multiplayer game I play).  Everything else runs off HDD, and runs fine.

Though with all the black Friday/Christmas deals, I have somehow ended up with a handful of Intel/Samsung 240GB/120GB SSDs, just not sure how I'll use them yet.

It all depends on the persons preferences. If you backup daily then it would be faster backups/restores. You may not want to wait for backups from SSD to HDD because you are still limited by the speed of the HDD. As far as space it depends. Windows backup has literally no compression. Acronis True image can smash a 150GB clone of the OS into a 70GB file. The idea of SSD is for faster read/write transfers and taking advantage of that. Your SSD has been degrading the day you started using it. Yes, I do agree If you read /write larger files daily then it will degrade those larger areas faster. However, you either use or you don't. Especailly video editing the performance of SSD vs HDD is like night and day. If you don't do backups daily and just want to casually make a fresh clone of the C drive once a month then yes put it on the HDD. Soon all these HDD will be gone and their will be no arguement lol. With a bunch of ssd you get longer life span doing jbod, but in the business world you may see all those in a RAID cluster moving massive files daily. So if a drive dies here and there a 1000 bucks dropped in the bucket is nothing to a business that makes millions or billions annually. Looking at it from a performance standpoint the SSD has payed itself off a 1000 times over. In the business world, time = money, downtimes = money loss.

Edited by technonymous, 08 December 2014 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users