Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loose header from PS on Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have a linux Mint OS, Intel core 2 q8200 CPU,  Intel DG31PR motherboard and CoolerMaster 430 watt PS. The main wire bundle from the PS going to the MB header is loose and doesnt appear to fit properly,even though its pushed down and clipped in properly?  Every now and then the computer will stop,then the fan will start again when I touch the wireing bundle. At the moment I have the main wire bundle folded and wedged up against a metal partition to hold it in place for the time being. Ive taken the MB and PS out and checked for cracked cold solder joints,bad connections etc... but found nothing out of the ordinary except that the MB header and PS connector are a loose fit,Any ideas, Hot glue maybe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

It sounds like the main wire harness connectors are loose, or a wire loose/torn on the other side. In any case it's a short. I would not recommend hot gluing it into place. It's still a short and potential fire hazard. The PSU needs replaced or properly repared. A local electrical wiring or computer shot should be able to repair it. Give an idea of special tools kits needed to do that...

https://www.google.com/search?q=molex+wiring+repair+kit&biw=1920&bih=920&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BgKBVPygDsTyiAKupIH4AQ&ved=0CGIQsAQ

Here in the states a store called Radioshack has the tool kits for molex repair. Not sure if you have anything similar there.

Edit: Here is pic of release tool and crimper jaws. Of course you then would need to get the metal ends, wire, shrink tubing etc. As you can see it's probably cheaper to buy a new PSU.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=molex+connector+tool

Edited by technonymous, 04 December 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Solved! My neighbor suggested using plastic zip ties to hold it in place and it works like a charm.I used three of them,now the connection is rock solid and wont move. None of the PS main wiring harness connectors were loose nor is there any bad pins on the MB side,it is the whole unit that's loose its a bad fit for some reason?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

It's still a short. It could be a number of things the solder/etching, wires broken inside their sheilding, metal contacts inside the plastic connector etc. Reason I suggested to have it looked at is because shorts are dangerous. A short of high resistance causes Voltage drop which creates heat and heat = fire. So in otherwords, you are forcing the short to make little contact with higher resistance. So Tape, Zip Ties, Hot Glue, Super glue, bubble gum are not fixes for a short. Only temporary Macgyver fixes. :lol:

Edited by technonymous, 05 December 2014 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users