Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use Windows Update / SFC will not work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

After days of searching on the internet, I finally decided to come to you fine wonderful people for some help. I have pulled out most of my hair, do not want to lose any more of it. So HOPEFULLY someone can help. 

To start this off, the Operating System I am dealing with is Windows 7 64 bit.

So at one point in time, all my workstations used the Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). They do not use that service anymore. Actually that server isn't even here anymore. I was doing some usual clean up on my workstations and realized a Windows Update had not been installed for some time now. I went to run Windows Update, and it came back with this message and error code: Windows is unable to search for new updates. Error Code : 80073712. I tried all the other workstations, and same error message with same error code. 

Now for the troubleshooting steps I have done. I have verified that all the settings are set for Windows Updates to download and install. I have verified that the Group Policy for WSUS is no longer in affect. I have navigated to the registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate in an attempt to Reset the registry value UseWUServer = dword:0x0, or to simply delete the key all together. BUT the key does not exist anywhere in my registry. I have attempted the Hot Fix System Update Readiness Tool, and still no luck. I still cannot get Windows Update to work. One of the troubleshooting steps was to do a "Repair Install" which is essentially just doing an upgrade and leaving your old windows in a windows.old folder. A step of which, I honestly just cannot do. I have attempted a couple of other Hot Fixes, but still with no luck. The next step would be to do an SFC scan.

Now to another issue all together.... sfc /scannow will not work no matter what I try. The error message I get when I try to run sfc is: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. I was advised to run a chkdsk on the system to see if that could repair anything and possibly get sfc to work. My workstations have SSD's in them, and everywhere I look, a chkdsk is not a safe to do on SSD's. So that option is out (unless someone on here can show otherwise). I have tried to run sfc from DART and it fails. I have tried to run it from a Windows 7 disk and it fails. I have tried in Safe Mode, and it fails... All with the same error message. I have also tried to run: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=c:\windows. E:\ is my System Reserve drive, and C:\ is where my Windows is installed. I get the same exact error. (NOTE* I have ran both just the simple sfc /scannow and the /offbootdir /offwindir is all scenarios) I have also ran a command to reset all permissions for the Windows folder and everything within it. (cd /D %windir% *press enter* icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET) I have also ran Disk Cleanup to get rid of any temp files that could be getting in the way. Also have ran Temp File Cleaner (TFC) from this lovely website as well. Still no luck...

Now I have uploaded to this post a copy of the log from the sfc scan. I have cut and pasted from the CBS log the most recent scan as the WHOLE CBS log is way too big to upload. Trying to decipher log files is not a strong troubleshooting skill I have. Something I need to work on honestly. Hopefully someone on here has better experience trying to read a log file. If ANYONE could please help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. It is getting to a point to where I feel that my only other option is doing a wipe and reload. Which I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to do...

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read all of this.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310 .

Either your source or your understanding of SSDs and chkdsk /r is incorrect.  It's the defrag function which one does not run on SSDs, chkdsk /r is perfectly fine.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#3 Buck1es

Buck1es
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

I gave that a try, and it still did not fix the issue. I still cannot run sfc /scannow

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Check this Video Tutorial :

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 Buck1es

Buck1es
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310 .

Either your source or your understanding of SSDs and chkdsk /r is incorrect.  It's the defrag function which one does not run on SSDs, chkdsk /r is perfectly fine.

Louis

Thank you Hamluis for this, and the advice. Even though it did not fix the issue, still glad to know that it is OK to run a chkdsk on SSD's.

Check this Video Tutorial :

Thank you very much for the video Splico. I have not yet tried this on the systems experiencing the issues I have stated above, but I had a separate issue that I tried that on, and it fixed everything I needed it to. I will keep that in mind and give it try for the systems I am experiencing the issues stated above.

#6 andrew relf

andrew relf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:56 AM

i had asimiler prob and used this to get it to work again, it seemed something had changed its permission  to run and after doing this it reset it and works like a charm now

SFCFix Script

Download SFCFix.exe (by niemiro) and save this to your Desktop

http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

Once down loaded , just run it and wait , one completed  restart pc and try to run sfc /SCANNOW again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users