Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scared Of Reformatting...gonna Do It Anyway

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dagschic

dagschic

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

My computer is infected with something that nothing finds and my internet explorer is gone and im missing components neccessary to install a new ie.I went to driverzone and they told me a couple of my drivers are bad....so what i need to know first is how can i backup my drivers so that i can install them after i have wiped out all old info and reinstalled windows? Where the heck should I start?I am totally flabbergasted at the task ahead of me and just need a little help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

What computer do you have? If you have a Dell, chat with their tech support and tell them you need a reinstallation cd of Windows XP. As for backing up your info, a simple floppy drive can do that.

What computer do you have? If you have a Dell, chat with their tech support and tell them you need a reinstallation cd of Windows XP. As for backing up your info, a simple floppy drive can do that.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 dagschic

dagschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

I have a rebuilt operating system and they are going to give me an xp cd. Ive never done this.I dont know how to do a simple backup.I need someone to hold my hand!!!!!Please help anyway u can.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

How much does work? Does your Windows Explorer work? Do you have a CD-Burner? Have you got anything backed up at all? If not, it's certainly time to learn how.

If you have a CD-burner, tell us what burning program you have, such as Nero or Sonic. Do you use another browser, like Firefox? What do you use for Email? What do you need to backup?

#5 dagschic

dagschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

Windows explorer does work and I have a cd burner but im not sure what kind it is I just rip a cd then burn it so I dont know. I use firefox for browsing.I only need to backup the drivers so i can connect to reinstall everything like avg and spyware blaster,adawre,spybot etc... My email does work still also it is outlook express6.No I havent backed up a thing,ever.Im a newbie and I rarely have anything on my pc of importance anyway.How do I find out what kind of burning program I have?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

Click on start, then programs, then accessories, then system tools, then backup

Follow the wizard to back up files and then burn them to cds or dvds (or a slave drive if you have one).

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Try a Repair Install with the XP CD perhaps before a clean install?

Have you tried sfc /scannow?
Since you are getting an XP CD,it would be worth trying first.
A repair or clean install is tedious.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 dagschic

dagschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Actually I was going to try that first. I just dont know exactly what the cd is gonna do for me. I have been researching though and everyone says try a repair first.I did sfc /scannow and it told me to insert the disc I am picking the disk up tuesday so I will know more then.

#9 dagschic

dagschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Well I did the scannow thing and I am not sure butI dont think it worked. I did add windows components, it said insert disk, I did and I am still not sure it worked because I still dont have IE.Shouldnt the disk give it to me? Im stumped and I dont know whats next.Any help would be awesome.

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

When you get the XP install disc do this: Load the CD into the drive and exit out of the popup window that shows up. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\inf\. Right-click on the file ie.inf and select Install. It should then reinstall Internet Explorer to your system. You may have to do a Windows Update to get any patches to IE.

#11 dagschic

dagschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help! I was able to do a full wipe successfully with no real probs.Of course while trying to get everything in order i picked up some spyware entries like A Avenue and some small cookies that adaware picked up but nothing to big I think I may be ok :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users