Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 network question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

I have a couple of questions reagrding my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS and I think they are related.

I've recently had to do some MAJOR maintenance to my box due to serious  registry corruption. In so doing, more than a few settings got twiddled and reset and I'm still trying to put all the pieces back in their proper places.

I'm connecting wirelessly to my X3D media player and when I start it up I can both see my PC and access my PC drives from the X3D but when I come into my office and try to access the X3D from the PC it shows up in the Network  but I get the following whenever I try to click on the X3D icon from my PC--

Windows cannot access \\X3D

Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found.

When I run the diagnostics from that error box it tells me the remote device won't accept the connection. Any ideas?

I can still access the PC from the X3D. I can ping the X3D from the PC and the X3D is still showing in Advanced IP Scanner when I run it.

I also have Hanewin's NFS Server running on the box.

My other two boxes running XP Pro and Vista Home can also see the media player but can't access it.

I have also noticed that refreshing the Netork window doesn't clear the icons of devices that are no longer connected to the network. Is this related to what I'm seeing with the media player in any way?

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2014 - 07:20 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

What lead you to the idea you have a corrupted registry?  Do you have a system restore point saved before this corruption occurred?

Isn't X3D media player software?  Or did you name your media server x3d?  If you did name the host X3d \\x3d would be a invalid path.  You would need \\xrd\what-you-shared

You should check that sharing is enabled on this media server, that you have something shared and that you have a user account on this host for you to authenticate to.  Make sure any software firewalls you are running are set to trust the local subnet or the hosts on your lan specifically.

#3 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Open Network and Sharing Center.

On the left select Change Advanced Sharing Settings, turn on File and printer sharing then try to access.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:29 AM

What lead you to the idea you have a corrupted registry?  Do you have a system restore point saved before this corruption occurred?

Isn't X3D media player software?  Or did you name your media server x3d?  If you did name the host X3d \\x3d would be a invalid path.  You would need \\xrd\what-you-shared

You should check that sharing is enabled on this media server, that you have something shared and that you have a user account on this host for you to authenticate to.  Make sure any software firewalls you are running are set to trust the local subnet or the hosts on your lan specifically.

Maintenance program from Tweaking.com both confirmed and corrected the registry issue. I had been seeing some erratic computer behaviour and I figured that was at the root of it. There were some minor malware issues but they weren't what was responsible for everything that I was seeing. All is well now. To answer your second question, there were no SR points of any use to me.

The X3D is the MED1000X3D standalone media player. I referred to it by its shorthand name. My apologies for the confusion.

Open Network and Sharing Center.

On the left select Change Advanced Sharing Settings, turn on File and printer sharing then try to access.

Sharing permissions isn't the problem here.

I have set a reserved IP in my router to see if I can keep the X3D from dropping off the network after a respectable amount of time elapses. If that fails I suppose I could install Acrylic DNS Proxy to address the situation but I really shouldn't have to do that.

Edited by mjl1297, 07 December 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#5 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

You cannot access any network device before you do enable File and printer sharing and Network discovery in Network and sharing center. Every time I had problem accessing network device I did this and all would work. I guess it has something to do with opening ports in Windows Firewall after you enable this.

Edited by splico, 07 December 2014 - 08:00 AM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#6 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

You cannot access any network device before you do enable File and printer sharing and Network discovery in Network and sharing center. Every time I had problem accessing network device I did this and all would work. I guess it has something to do with opening ports in Windows Firewall after you enable this.

Those are enabled. I ended up installing Acrylic and everything appears to be working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users