Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SilentUtility.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zebop55

zebop55

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

I work on a Help Desk and a user called to report she received a pop-up error message when she locked her pc.  SU-T2
Setting file is wrong. Please reinstall program!

I connected to the user's laptop and ran a full antivirus scan.  Received no bad results.  User locked the pc and the pop-up appeared again.  Clicking on the "OK's" one box was entitled, "SilentUtility."  I did a search on the computer and found there is it is a executable file.  Nobody in Security or the Peripherals group is familiar with the file and Googling "SilentUtility.exe" reveals no useful results.

I cannot figure out if this file Is something important or can be removed.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy. ~Joseph Campbell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

Try here:  http://processchecker.com/file/SilentUtility.exe.html

#3 zebop55

zebop55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, but I'm still uncertain if SilentUtility.exe is a necessary file on the pc or if it is malware and can be removed.  The Google links don't seem to indicate what it is or what it does.

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy. ~Joseph Campbell

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

Submit it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3 

I will take a look.

#5 gwiztim

gwiztim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

It is tied to a driver for an external video card.  StarTech makes a USB2VGA device, etc.  If they just upgraded to Windows 8, a new driver was release January of 2015.  Ok to delete and install the latest driver.

#6 towncobbler

towncobbler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

gwiztim is correct.  I have a StarTech  USB2VGA adapter running a 2nd monitor attached to my laptop, and SilentUtility.exe is a running process that drives the adapter.  In my case, SilentUtiltiy.exe resides in C:\Windows\System32, is 656,760 bytes modified 5:13:04 11-May-2011. Digital Signature Info: Magic Control Technology Corp.  If I kill the process, the attached monitor loses it's signal.  Late reply I know; just adding details you can compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users