Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Upgrade Planning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andy__Speed

Andy__Speed

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

I'm planning an upgrade on my PC and am very grateful for any opinions on improving the build. smile.png

Here're the specs of my current PC: I5-2500K CPU, Asus P8-Z68 v-pro GEN3 Motherboard, 8GB 1600mhz RAM, Gigabyte GTX770, Crucial M4 120GB SSD / 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair 850W PSU, Antec 902v3 case.

Planned usage is light-medium gaming (MMORPGs and games such as Portal), graphic design and some running of virtual machines for development. Based in the UK, I wouldn't want to spend more than about £800 and would like a decent spec'd machine to last a few years. Running on 2x1080P screens at the moment and have all other peripherals / licenses. 

I'm thinking the GPU, PSU, case, and secondary HD are all fine. For CPU I'm thinking I7-5820K and SSD is a Samsung 850 PRO, but any advice welcome. Looking at something in the 2300MHZ speed range (16GB). I was looking at the H80i as an aftermarket cooler.

I liked the Gigabyte X99-UD4 motherboard, but welcome any suggestions. The better motherboards in the range are all E-ATX won't fit in my case, so is it worth upgrading my case to get one?

I don't know if these are the best areas to improve... Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andy__Speed

Andy__Speed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

Anyone?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

They are nice components and they will no doubt be a good match for what you are using them for, but I think you'll be pushing your set budget to the limit and beyond.  The UD4 is one of the cheapest boards for the platform, and I think unless the more expensive EATX boards have specific features that you need, it should do the job well enough.  Of course a new case and more expensive motherboard would take it even further over budget too.  Here's a review of the UD4 for info.

You could also consider an i7-4790K on the LGA1150 platform which has two cores less, of course, but higher basic clock speed partially makes up for that.  Some benchmark comparisons.  The motherboards, and DDR3 memory are going to be cheaper at this moment and can be done within budget easily.  Something to think about though.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

The LGA 2011 platform is designed largely for enthusiasts and is priced accordingly.  I recommend a high-end LGA 1150 CPU for cost savings on this budget.  RAM speed also doesn't help very much in real-world usage if you're going from 1600 to 23oo.  If you can get a better deal with the 2300, go for it.  I don't really see much benefit going to EATX unless there is a feature you need on such a board.  Also, don't forget that if you get a new motherboard, you will need to buy a copy of Windows.  That is, if you are currently using a System Builder/OEM version.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users