Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lizbeth

lizbeth

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:32 PM

:huh:
Sorry to seem so dim, just got my pc feb, windows xp(am verrryyy! new to this game), once windows vista is launched to the masses and i wished to upgrade ,What would i have to do to aquire? ie. Would i have to uninstall XP and i assume i would purchase the new software, vista and obviously have to recustomise everything :huh: please be gentle with me :huh: I sooo!! need to learn and this forum seems ideal for just that guys

:huh: lizbeth in need of advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:05 PM

First off, Vista is in Beta mode. I would NOT recommend upgrading until its released to the public out of beta stage. It'll mess up your system.

Just a little FYI, revert back to Windows XP.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

Many thanks for sound advice Jesse B) so pleased to get immediate response to my question, will just sit things out until vista is no longer in beta as you advised. Would also like to take the opportunity to say how impressed i am with this forum, you all seem to be one big happy family :huh: Keep up the good work you guys am well impressed :huh: Motto for the day be happy :huh: your a long time dead

A big bearskin hug from Scotland .UK

from lizbeth

#4 harpo_the_whale

harpo_the_whale

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:58 PM

Lizbeth,

Good evening! I'm testing out the new Windows Vista RC1 beta and it appears it'll be very simple come that time for you. It appears that Micro$oft will have an upgrade option when you pop the disk in. Currently this isn't implemented but surely it'll be done. Upgrading to Windows XP for example is fairly simple from previous versions of Windows but does not always carry over your current settings and customizations. I recommend coming back here come January (when Vista is due to release) and reading some more then.

harpo_the_whale(at)yahoo.com

#5 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:31 AM

yes but just to let you know,in order to upgrade you have to be on your windows,you cant just boot from the cd and upgrade.

Regards,
Josh

#6 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

Many thanks for your advice guys have taken all on board . Am going to just sit tight see what happens, not to phased about vista as yet!!! however will continue to read all regarding it for sound advice.
Please to take care :huh:

:huh: Lizbeth

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

When Vista is launched, you'll have to buy a copy. There may be deals from the manufacturer of your new system - so check with them first.

Also, use this page to see if your system meets the specifications: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...e/vistarpc.mspx

Also, if you download RC1 (but don't actually install it), there's a compatibility checker on the first window of the setup screen.

And, actually the transition to Vista should be easier for you than it is for me. I've got a lot of habits from my long use of XP - and I have to adjust to them when I logon to my Vista installation.

Vista is (IMO) easier to use than XP was - especially for a newer user.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users