Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD FX 8350 and Prime95

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peterhouf

peterhouf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

I use AIDA64 Extreme and HWMonitor to measure my temps and I kept keeping an eye on it these past few days. I'm also using a Corsair H90 water cooler in a pull position, where it exhausts air out the back of the case. I finished building a new computer and I was wondering if something was going on with my CPU temps since on idle, both programs show it as 12 and 32 degrees. 32 degrees for the North Bridge, and 12 degrees for the CPU itself. Even touching my computer case on the outside feels cold. Like a mini fridge :)

I was wondering if the temp was way too low and not an accurate reading, but those two programs show the exact same temperatures. I heard temps can't go below ambient room temperature, but does it still hold true for a water cooled CPU? My room is not located inside a freezer by the way, but not hot either, maybe about 66 or 68 degrees. Judging by such a big temp difference, can it be accurate?

While playing a game and was about 20-30% load on my CPU, temps raised to about 40 degrees or higher. Made me wonder what 100% load temps were like, so I tried Prime95, tested my CPU for about 15 minutes at 100% load, and the temperature never went above 47 for the north bridge, and 43 for the CPU itself, on both monitoring programs I was using.

Is this an accurate reading. It just seems to run so cold at idle, and it makes me feel suspicious. Is that a normal temp at idle and load? I tried to google the answer, but kept finding posts talking about people overheating the CPU or it going over 80 degrees, so I wanted to try asking here.

Also, my GPU temp at idle is about 33 and is air cooled. Not sure if it matters, but might as well throw that number out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Wow, the first ever complaint I have seen that the system is running too cool! :wink:

Seriously, I looked at the users' reviews on Newegg.com for that unit, and everybody is in love with it. It's not often that a product gets 5 gold eggs out of 110 reviews!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181036

I agree, that seems way too low for idle, but your stress temp is right in there where others report. Even if the reported temp seems too low, I think you are in great shape for an overclock! If my water cool unit fails, I definitely will investigate your Corsair H90!!

BTW.... by HWMonitor, do you mean Open Hardware monitor (that's the one I use and trust). http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 peterhouf

peterhouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

Wow, the first ever complaint I have seen that the system is running too cool! :wink:

Seriously, I looked at the users' reviews on Newegg.com for that unit, and everybody is in love with it. It's not often that a product gets 5 gold eggs out of 110 reviews!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181036

I agree, that seems way too low for idle, but your stress temp is right in there where others report. Even if the reported temp seems too low, I think you are in great shape for an overclock! If my water cool unit fails, I definitely will investigate your Corsair H90!!

BTW.... by HWMonitor, do you mean Open Hardware monitor (that's the one I use and trust). http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

HWMonitor by CPUID: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I'll give Open Hardware a try. Even though it runs cool, I'm still suspicious about that low number :)

I had no idea that water cooler had such good reviews! I got it because it was on sale, and I heard good things about the H50 product Corsair also made, so I thought I might as well upgrade higher since it was $50 at the time.

I always tend to worry too much about very simple things, and it can last hours or days.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Same reading on Open Hardware. I hope the number is as accurate as can be.

Edited by peterhouf, 04 December 2014 - 05:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users