Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Display suddenly has white bar and streaks & black splotches

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sivapriya

Sivapriya

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

I have a fairly new Lenovo Ideapad s510p touch, running Windows 8.1.

I was working in InDesign cs6, I got up to do something and set the laptop on the bed beside me.  When I came back, my display had some white bar running vertically along the left side with white streaks going across horizontally and a black splotch on the bottom. (see pics attached)

when i touch in the white area, it is still active, so whatever is hidden beneath the white will open when clicked. 

Not sure what to do.  This is hampering my work.  Luckily, I can minimize my windows to work in the area to the right (thank God!), but it is still limiting me greatly. 

Please help! 

[edit]

okay, so I just flipped the laptop over to get the serial number (I was definitely not rough with it) and the screen got worse (see 3rd pic).  I"m wondering if there is some loose connection in there or something, because as I tilt the display, the lines move.

20141204_143231.jpg

20141204_143246.jpg

20141204_145708.jpg

now I must find an external display to use until I fix this.  problem is, I'm out of town. ugh

please, please, please help, if you can!

Edited by Sivapriya, 04 December 2014 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Do you see the problem with the running software only or does it happen also with any other programs? It could either be a problem with the video chip itself, driver or the video hardware is not compatible or buggy with the program itself.

Tekken

#3 Sivapriya

Sivapriya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

This happens with all programs, even the desktop.  When I rebooted, it even appears that way on the splash screen. 

I'm in DC right now, but heading back to Florida within the next day or so.  When I get there, I'm going to connect it to my external monitor to see what happens.   Maybe that will help to better troubleshoot and narrow it down.

I have a feeling there is some kind of loose connection, because the way the colored and black lines move, multiply, and such as I tilt the screen back and forward.  IDK  Just really weird to happen out of the blue. I didn't drop it or anything.

Thanks for you quick response!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

Boot to safemode and see if the problem persist. If yes, then look for returning the laptop if still under warranty.

Tekken

#5 Sivapriya

Sivapriya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I looked it up and it's still under warranty, so I'm just going to send it in for repairs.  I feel it's definitely a hardware issue, due to the way it is behaving.  I think somehow the liquid crystals inside have leaked (because the way it spread from just the white band to the diagonal streak when I turned it over), but the strange thing is there hasn't been any impact on the laptop, only normal, very careful use.  Just glad to know it's still under warranty.  They gave a 1 year warranty and I've had it almost 6 months.

So, I guess we can close this out.

Thanks for your help.  I'm very grateful for the speedy response time and your efforts.

God bless! <3

#6 BRK1

BRK1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

I had the same problem with my laptop unfortunately it had just come out of warrenty. Your lcd display liquid plasma screen is broken . i had gone to my hp service centre they had demanded ~ 9k INR and it was on ebay for 200$ i went to my local parts market ( duplicate stuff) and got it replaced ~ 3.5 k INR . the blotches are the places where the liquid gathers and the white places are liquid scarce areas. I don't think you can get it repared but you could try there a lot of videos and sites which show how to not sure if they'll work ( just search on google). atleast your screen shows 75% when mine was broken i was in between my exams and it showed 25%. I also used external display.

Edited by BRK1, 06 December 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

So, I guess we can close this out.

Thanks for your help.  I'm very grateful for the speedy response time and your efforts.

God bless! <3

Glad to be of help and you're most welcome.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users