Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

damaged connection on motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DesertStorm

DesertStorm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi all,

I have 2010 sony Vaio vpcf112fx. While cleaning it up two connections on motherboard got damaged. They look like resistor but I am not sure though. These are very near to the cpu socket and laptop is not booting after this damage.

Local computer repair guy is saying that he can not fix it whereas I am finding it difficult to let go this machine only due to two damaged connections. I am attaching photo for your reference. Please let me know what options do I have.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DesertStorm

DesertStorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

Attaching photo.

Attached Files

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

From the looks of it, you will have to buy new capacitors (or are those resistors? I believe those are capacitors) and resolder them. You may have to search the internet for the capacitor type. Just in case, unplug anything else connected to the board.

#4 DesertStorm

DesertStorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for your reply. Not sure whether I will get those in market, seems too tiny to retail. First need to ascertain type of the entity.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Correct = Capacitors.

They can be replaced. Figuring out exactly what they are may require pulling one off and testing it: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/help-identifying-surface-mount-capacitor-on-dell-motherboard.97026/ Ebay is a decent source for random small parts. Perhaps a used broken board that matches your board, you could pull parts from.

A few questions remian: is there any other damage? Scraped traces, scratches in the board, etc? Scraped traces can be difficult to repair. Also soldering anything that small is tricky. With proper equipment it can be done somewhat easily.

Very few tech shops I have been in have had any of the equipment to do most small surface mount work. While it can be done with a simple soldering iron, the skill required is somewhat high, also very steady hands help.

That said. You might be able to get a new board cheaper than what it would cost to do the repair work depending on what someone would do it for. If I were to do similar work and the computer was already disassembled, and I only had to replace those 2 caps (no trace damage), it wouldn't cost more than $40 with parts.

From the picture it appears there may be a scrape in the board, I don't see any traces there so might not matter: (light blue scratch top left of damaged caps).

If you have "some" soldering experience, you might be able to get it running by simply re-soldering those caps on correctly. A small tweezers will be helpful and a precise soldering iron tip.

Unfortunately I work locally only, no shipping etc.

Edited by zingo156, 04 December 2014 - 01:43 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Here is an example of some surface mount caps on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-pcs-SMD-Surface-Mount-0603-Capacitor-470pF-471-pF-/171187861290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db97772a

NOTE: these are not likely the same specifications as the ones on your board which is why you might need to pull one off to test it. That or buy a used damaged board and remove the caps from the same spots to replace on yours.

They are coming from China which typically means 17ish days for shipping... You can likely find some locally.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

I cant see from the picture if those capacitors are undamaged but if they are OK its fairly easy to resolder them back. Youll need surface mount solder paste and solder wick and a pair of tweezers. Look up a video on youtube and / or instructables on SMD soldering.

#8 DesertStorm

DesertStorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks zingo156 and blueballs. I dont have much experience or equipment to solder these back.

Zingo156 you rightly noted the scrape but it is superficial and did not damage tracks.

I am India and looking for some local options which seems difficult, though problem in hand doesn't.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

It might be a good time to attempt to learn soldering, pick up a half way decent soldering station, a small tweezers, thin solder wire, and watch youtube surface mount videos as blueballs suggested. If you have old electronics laying around (LOW VOLTAGE ONLY!!!) Such as old laptops, cell phones, ipads, etc, practice on those first. DO NOT open electronics power supplies, capacitors can kill! I recommend you stay away from anything that has a plug which goes directly from the device into the wall. Laptops are generally safe to work on, there are no lethal voltages involved with laptop motherboards. ALWAYS remember to unplug power adapters and remove batteries when doing any work....

You do not need anything too fancy for this work, I would recommend a soldering station over a cheap iron but it isn't required. A cheap soldering iron with a small chisel tip will work, (chisel tips are best for surface mount things generally). As mentioned, if the caps do not look damaged and are not gone completely, you might be able to re-solder them to the board correctly.

Edited by zingo156, 05 December 2014 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users