Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspirion mini 10 (T-Mobile) can not factory reset in Windows 7 Starter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dirtrider92

dirtrider92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:42 AM

So I acquired this Inspirion mini from my sister a couple of days ago (she had it sitting in storage for a few months) and originally planned to have it factory reset so I could use it mainly for a trip I have coming up and for a good note taking laptop that's small and convenient. She bought it (I believe) about 2-3 years ago from a T-Mobile store locally. However, I went to do a standard factory reset on the model ran into an issue. She "claims" nothing was wrong with it but there are numerous randomly installed programs and I am assuming maleware of all kinds so I really just wanted to wipe the whole thing and start a new. When I went into the F8 recovery menu on start up, I select the "Repair My Computer" option and it goes into the load windows file screen, loads all the way across the screen and then goes blank and starts into windows normally. Somehow there is a problem with either accessing the system recovery program (or maybe a partition problem?) I have no idea. I don't much experience with Dell Computers and their recovery process but I am pretty knowledgeable about computers and windows OS. 

The computer is a Dell Insprion mini 10 (I think its a 1010, unsure) and its running the Windows 7 Starter. The computer is the mini so it contains no optical drive just an FYI.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED.

I attempted to obviously get into the repair my computer screen from boot menu to no avail. I did a system restore to the furtherst point saved on her computer and then tried the boot menu option again and no luck. I did try to make a usb drive with EasyRE Windows 7 recovery on it following all the proper set up instructions to make it bootable but the computer refuses to boot into the usb drive and just stays blank in a command prompt stage. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

Is there a Recovery Partition shown in Disk Management? F8 on a Dell with Windows 7 is the correct key to start a reset. On XP it was down by holding the Ctrl key while tapping F11.

If there is no recovery partition, call Dell support with the service tag, they should provide you with a disk minimal cost. If a disk you will have to transfer it to a USB key.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/media

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Contact-Information/Customer-Support/customer-support-phone-numbers

Windows 7 Starter is actually a pretty bad OS compared to the full version. If Dell does not give you the disk take a look at Linux Mint Xfce. Depending on what software you use and how you plan on using the netbook, i.e. check email and browse the internet, you should do fine with Mint.

Review of Mint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users