Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open Outlook and scanpst.exe for 2007 not compatible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uvantu

uvantu

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'm using Outlook 2007 with Win 8.1 and it suddenly stopped functioning and it will no longer open.  A message appears saying to use Scanpst.exe, which I downloaded from ms, but it won't work saying "the Microsoft Fix It does not apply to my operating system".   Is there another way to repair/recover Outlook?  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Microsoft Fix it? I think you are doing something wrong. Program Scanpst.exe is located in your Office installation folder in ProgramFiles and has nothing to do with that message.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 uvantu

uvantu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

It didn't make sense to me either, but this is supposed to locate the inbox repair tool.  I've looked for the scanpst.exe and can't find it.  I do have the installation disk if i need to reinstall but I don't want to lose all my contacts and e-mail history since I use it for business.  Any suggestions?

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Scanpst.exe

Or

C:\Program Filesx86\Microsoft Office\Office12\Scanpst.exe

Try running that with RUN command - Start menu icon > RUN or on keyboard Windows key + R. If both fails. Go to Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall Programs or Programs And Feautures depending on selected view, find Office installation then select the Repair option. After it finishes locate Scanpst.exe file in folder I wrote you.

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 04:29 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 uvantu

uvantu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for your help so far.   I tried your suggestions: using the "run" command didn't work, I get the message that Windows can't find  the file.  I tried using repair but get a message that "configuration did not complete successfully".  Any other suggestions? 

#6 uvantu

uvantu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have resolved the issue.  I ultimately did find Scanpst.exe and was able to use it effectively, so problem solved and my Outlook is working again.  As always, I do appreciate your help and thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users