Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keystroke recorder or other browser tracking software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benbrown1428

benbrown1428

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hey guys and gals,

I have been asked by a client to install keystroke/website tracking software on their clients computer. This client has a guardian and a panel of staff that are all in agreement that THEY want to know what he is doing; but I am not so sure. I wondered if any of you have come across this; what software would you use; and how did you feel about it. I initially told them that the stuff they were wanting was really "only in the movies" but they know a private investigator that told them that it was possible and easy to do. I don't want to lose the client; but I damn sure wouldn't want it done to me. I will have full legal backing but I am not really worried about that...thanks in advance,

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

If "they" own the machine and the person they want to monitor is an employee they have every right. I see no moral issue with assisting them. Be sure you are indemnified though, having the directive on paper would be advisable particularly if you live in America.

Nor is it movie stuff, there is a huge array of software available that will monitor and log computer activity.

Here is a list of some of the software available

This site is generating revenue from sales, so what they rate as best may not be the best. But it will show you what sort of features are available for these products and give you a good point to start your product research.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

And as a system administrator I have no problem logging users activity. The objective is not to intrude into peoples personal lives but to protect my network and company. I don't have time or interest to read peoples personal documents or messages, much more fun and important things to do. That's all there is to it and I'm sure most sysadmins feel the same.

Edited by TsVk!, 03 December 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#4 benbrown1428

benbrown1428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

I did not clarify that this is a handicapped person in an assisted living home. They are not an employer verifying that the employee is working, they are wanting an itemized list of anything and anyone he chats with. Staff and guardians believe it is in his best interest. I told them it was movie stuff hoping that they would drop it. Thank you guys for the quick replies....this site is Impressive with a capital I. This is probably better suited for Dr Phil, but Id rather have suggestions from people who have done this before.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

Users in the same situation have come here before and because we're talking about a mentally handicapped person, I think parental control software is a better solution. It can be used to prevent this person from going to certain kinds of websites. There is plenty of this kind of software available. Just Google it.

#6 benbrown1428

benbrown1428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

Frankp316 and others;

thanks for the replies. I opted out of the service; I just felt like they were more interested in his personal life than his personal safety. This site is extremely impressive. I am researching tutorials now on a "black screen" at startup on a vista business edition; will post in the app areas as I get into it. Thanks for all the replies.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users