Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVIRA - Cannot Remove all files from registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hi Guys n' Gals. I'm looking for a genius. There's lots of stuff out there on how to remove this leach of a software, but nothing works so far. I started with Revo. It said remaining files would be removed during restart. Negative on that! Next, I ran Avira's Registry_Cleaner_en. It gives me results of 12 keys located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. There's only 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVIRA. Of the other 11,  Five are located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services ,and the remaining 6 are HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.

Now, these are the results of Avira's own Registry Cleaner. When I select these keys and attempt to delete them I get an error: "Failed to Delete One or Many Keys".

I wish I could figure out how to upload images, but I don't know how!

This awful software won't get lost - it still shows up in my Taskbar.

Someone out there must know how to slay this dragon entirely. I'm switching to Kaspersy Labs.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can resolve this issue. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

I would reinstall Avira, then remove it and run their cleaning tool after booting into safe mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

Excellent. I must note that Avira has two separate installations - "Avira Free Antivirus" and a second: "Avira". I used Revo and uninstalled "Avira Free Antivirus" first. Even Revo didn't get all the registry keys. I then ran avira_registry_cleaner_en and there remained about 6 keys. I deleted them successfully. I rebooted to find the Avira icon still on my desktop and taskbar. Upon selecting the icon, Avira continued to open. I went back to Revo and found the second "Avira" installation. After running the uninstall on that one, the program is now completely removed.

After 2 days of research, and with all the complicated hoop-jumping out there directing me to all kinds of manual registry editing, it is YOU, Bleepin' Janitor, who really has the answer. Thank you!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif