Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gb of ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

i have an optiplex 755 dell pc with adell OPUO52 motherboard and an entel E6550 CPU. i had a recent install of a windows xp 32bit home edition sp3.(I know it's no longer supported, it's a little personal experiment). can someone help me with how much gb of ram my motherboard, and the bios can support, and how to adjust the settings on the xp so i can install the max ram without damage to my new install.  thx so much     dewitt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

See http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-755-series-%28desktop-mini-tower-and-small-form-factor%29 .

Max appears to 8 GB.

Installing RAM does not normally result in loss of data, not sure where that idea came from.

Louis

#3 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

dear moderator, yes of course my optiplex will take 8gb of ram, however i've been told that my 32bit xp os will not recognize any more than 3gbs unless you can adjust the settings in the bios and or the os itself. i need some direction on this issue   thx   dewitt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

Not to contradict..."what you've been told" but the reality is that 32-bit O/Ses cannot utilize (without a hack) more than 4GB of RAM.

When many persons post about 32-bit operating systems "not using" more than anything more than 4GB, they are correct.  When they say anything other than that, regardless of the number specified, they are incorrect, IMO...incorrectly citing the number reflected when clicking on My Computer/Properties.  The number reflected at My Computer/Properties will vary by system and processes running in the background...IMO, that number is really valid only for doing a quick look to verify that at least 2GB or 3GB or 4GB of RAM are actually installed...beyond that, it signifies nothing, IMO.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/dude-wheres-my-4-gigabytes-of-ram

http://lifehacker.com/5415355/do-you-really-need-more-than-4gb-of-ram

Louis

#5 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

moderator,the links you provided where a lot of help. i'm going to stick with 3 gbs and be happy with that  thx  dewitt

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users