Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Picks for Win 7 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Shopping for a new laptop, looking closely at one running Win7 64 bit.

Anti-malware wise, I plan to install the full (always-on) version of Malwarebytes, also the freeware apps SuperAntiSpyware and Spywareblaster (assuming they don't conflict).  For firewalls, Win 7's version should suffice for now. 

That leaves a good anti-virus program that plays well with all my other choices.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Anti-malware wise, I plan to install the full (always-on) version of Malwarebytes, also the freeware apps SuperAntiSpyware and Spywareblaster (assuming they don't conflict)

There should be no conflicts.

That leaves a good anti-virus program that plays well with all my other choices. Any suggestions?

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

I also recommend using WinPatrol.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thanks.   I'll give avast a try when I get the new laptop.

BTW, can someone provide safe links to the Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Spywareblaster sites, so I know they're the real McCoys?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download
SpywareBlaster
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018