Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Antivirus-How good is it really?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nashblue

Nashblue

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Can anyone please let me know if this antivirus is good compared to Avira,Avast?I'm only interested in the free products.I am using it right now,but since Comodo is not part of any AV tests,how can anyone compare it to others?I used Unthreat without problems,but people say it's not a good av,so i installed Comodo.Thinking of trying Avira again.Didn't like Avast(slows browsing down a little).Any input about Comodo Antivirus will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

I realize that you're asking about Comodo Anti-Virus; however, I am too unfamiliar with it to make any sort of opinion of it. After reading the rest of your paragraph, you seem to be possibly looking for other Anti-Virus programs besides Avast and Avira, no? If so, have you considered trying BitDefender Anti-Virus free or Panda Anti-Virus free?

Just to make you aware, someone else, who is a bleeping expert (e.g. quietman, animal or another BC staff member,) will most likely post a response to your question about Comodo Anti-Virus in this thread today.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

...since Comodo is not part of any AV tests,how can anyone compare it to others?

I have never used Comodo Anti-Virus but there are some members here who do and they are satisfied.

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

* Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites by AV-Comparatives.

If a vendor does not participate, I personally would tend to be skeptical about using it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:05 AM

I have been using and beta testing Comodo security products for 8 years now, without any malware intrusion.   I have also done occasional scans with Malwarebytes anti malware and Hitman Pro,   The only thing they ever found was one false positive by Malwarebytes which they removed from their database after I reported it to them.

I would not advise the use of Comodo Antivirus on its own, as an antivirus program will only protect against threats already known and in it,s database.   More important is to block the multitude of zero day malware which is growing all the time.   For that you need the free Comodo Internet Security which includes the antivirus but has many other features such as whitelisting and sandboxing of unknowns.

Because Comodo provide their full protection free of charge they don,t usually pay for testing, however you can see a recent reputable test result here:

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

James

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:09 AM

I would not advise the use of Comodo Antivirus on its own, as an antivirus program will only protect against threats already known

+1

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on spyware, adware, pop-up ads, browser hijackers and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs). However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

On any given day, according to Lastline Labs’ analysis, much of the newly detected malware went undetected by as much as half of the antivirus vendors. Even after 2 months, one third of the antivirus scanners failed to detect many of the malware samples. By averaging the daily detection rates, we are able to plot the pace at which theantrivirus scanners catch up with the malware. The least-detected malware - that is the malware in the 1-percentile “least likely to be detected” category - went undetected by the majority of antivirus scanners for months, and in some cases was never detected at all...We think that “traditional” AV technology is not dead, but needs to be complemented with other approaches.

Antivirus Isn't Dead, It Just Can't Keep Up

...there are between 200,000 and 300,000 new viruses discovered every day...by the time they are detected, they're often out of circulation...Statistics published by Brian Krebs, indicate that antivirus software detects about 25% of the most popular malware currently being emailed to people...

How useful is antivirus software?

Antivirus software is still helpful. It’s an important layer of security. But, now more than ever, you shouldn’t rely only on antivirus software. Traditional antivirus software doesn’t catch many threats....antivirus software now catches only 45% of “cyberattacks”, so this figure includes other types of attacks that aren’t simply malicious software...you can’t rely only on antivirus software to help keep you safe...Antivirus software helps, but it’s not a perfect solution.

Symantec Says “Antivirus Software Is Dead”

...the sheer volume of threats is making it impossible for anti-virus software to keep up. Over 220,000 malicious programs are found every day...about 50 percent to 60 percent of some zero-day threats — which are previously unknown vulnerabilities — can go undetected for at least two to seven days...Does this mean users should get rid of their existing anti-virus tools? Sjouwerman says no. He advises users to keep it as an additional layer of protection. But it has to be supported by other tools.

Is anti-virus software obsolete?

Antivirus software...is not sufficient protection in a connected world. It is designed to remove infections that slow PC performance and neutralise malicious viruses, spam and unsafe downloads. However, antivirus software provides little protection for online activities...While anti-virus is still a necessary tool, on its own it is far from sufficient. Users today need protection as sophisticated as the threats and vulnerabilities they face.

Anti-virus software is just not enough anymore

Anti-virus programs rely on regular updates to definitions, in order to detect new threats. A “brute force” component of today’s attack methodology is to automatically generate tens of thousands of variants of old or new viruses, at a rate which far outpaces the capacity of any anti-virus vendor to keep up...relying on anti-virus technology alone has two flaws:

(1) The system is broadly exposed to all kinds of threats which continue to evolve as technology evolves, new devices emerge and converge, new access methods are used, etc, and

(2) This strategy completely overlooks critical risk minimisation, exposing an outdated defence mechanism to an ever-increasing array of threat vectors which it was never designed for.

Why Antivirus Is Not Enough

...antivirus programs are reactive — they only alert you of something that is already on your computer, once it's discovered.

Antivirus is a good start. But it’s not enough.

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

#6 Alakinender

Alakinender

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Well i used comodo for a year or two, and here is my opinion. It's good if you use the whole pack: AV and firewall, then you have good protection but you still need as they said, anti-malware software that they don't give(at least for free as i know). If you have some elder people or small children who do not know very much about computer and how it works, they will run into trouble handling comodo defense+

Let's say they go and install winamp player. comodo defense+ will block it asking you what kind of rule shall give comodo to that program(installer). Someone will confuse and instinctively click on block option and installation will fail.

Later they will say that they can't install anything and what did you do to the computer :D

So if it is just your laptop or PC, only for you and you want full control over every program on your PC then go ahead, BUT still you need some backup guys like MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) or SAS(SuperAnti-Spyware)

That's my experience, also you can change your DNS settings to their setting but it can sometimes crap up certificates if you have business with that stuff

If something isn't explained very well feel free to ask anything. This is my first forum where i help people and write so much English so if grammar is bad I'm sorry :D

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

This is why Comodo Internet Security does not have Defense+ enabled by default in recent versions.   No need for it for average users.

James

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

This is why Comodo Internet Security does not have Defense+ enabled by default in recent versions.   No need for it for average users.

And if it is enabled, folks can refer to Disabling Defense+ and Sandboxing.

#9 Alakinender

Alakinender

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

Yes, but some people don't want to mess with security settings in comodo IS, so it's easier to have basic windows firewall

#10 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:46 AM

But then you don't have sandbox and behaviour blocker, so much lower security.   There is no need to change the settings for a good level of protection.

James

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

The more security the better as long as it doesn't start interfering with one's ability to use the machine.

#12 Alakinender

Alakinender

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

I agree with quietman7

Because comodo is for more experienced computer users, it has good options like defense+ and sandbox but if it starts to bug someone in his work he will say that program is bad and will ask you to remove it or say something like:"I can't do anything, it always pops-up some questions!"

#13 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have also been using Comodo for years. I have the full package which includes live tech support which I have used several times with good results. I WOULD NOT reccomend using their DNS servers as the will ask you to do. They are very very slow.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 12 December 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Alakinender

Alakinender

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Yes, their GeekBuddy is very good support app.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yes, their GeekBuddy is very good support app.

But I have had folks report an annoying pop up from GeekBuddy when starting their computer. When I want help...I will ask for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users