Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC would switch on, but without mouse and keyboard and restarts without warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

I bought a new graphics card (2 GB) sometime around September and had played a lot of games since then. There were no issues with crashes or any problems with the temperatures. Everything was fine, and I honestly wasn't expecting to have any major problems for a while, at least.

But, a few days ago, I woke up in the morning and turned on my PC. The light displayed as usual, but there was no signal on my monitor. I also noticed that my mouse and keyboard didn't seem to be "on" either. I hard booted the system and turned it on again and everything was normal, so I thought I could ignore it. The following day, I had the same issue, but this time resetting the system didn't work. I began plugging and unplugging this and that, and eventually I managed to get it started as normal. The next day, I noticed that there was a delay with the time it took for the light to switch on after pressing the button (when it was usually an immediate thing). This got my attention, but everything else was perfectly functional and so I ignored it once again. I noticed the same thing the next day, but I figured it was a minor issue not worth bothering with.

However, today, I once again had the issue where the PC would turn on but without the rest of the hardware. I rebooted and it ran as normal. I gamed for a few hours and then switched off my PC and went out for a while. When I got home, I switched on my PC and it started normally, but while playing a game (a fairly old one from 2002), I hit the windows key to open my browser, but my PC just restarted as I hovered the cursor over the Chrome icon, with no blue screen or anything. I thought that it might be a heating issue, but the temperatures seemed to be normal. I opened up Chrome to look for a solution, but I restarted again. I later managed to get to a website that suggested unplugging everything and hitting the power button. I did that and switched some of the connections around, and it seemed to work for a while. I used Chrome for about 15 minutes without any problems. I decided to try the game again, and it ran, but trying to window it caused a restart once again. I thought that I'd just not play any games for a while and just browse for better solutions, but it would still restart. I tried running "perfmon /report" and it restarted during that as well. So the restarts don't seem to be random, but happen during certain conditions.

Anyone have any idea what I can do here? I'm currently running on safe mode and, so far, it hasn't restarted, so i'm wondering if it's a hardware issue or a driver issue. I'm going to try running the tool again while in safe mode, and see if it crashes again. Edit: It didn't during that session, but it did when I restarted it again and opened my antivirus. It didn't crash when I opened it earlier. I'll try again without opening the program. Edit: Nope, it crashed when I was viewing the system settings.

Thanks.

Edit: I can't run "perfmon /report" in safe mode, it seems.

Edited by brc2000, 03 December 2014 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

I should also add that I disabled the automatic restart on system failure but it still does, so it seems more like a power failure than a crash.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Following can be done from safe mode with networking.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

I think I have both of those programs, but it restarts in safe mode as well. I can't even go 5 minutes without it happening now. Looks like I'll have to take it in for repairs.

#5 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

So I took my PC to a computer service store, and it seemed to work fine there (ran fine for around 15 minutes). I brought it home, but it still has the reboot problem. It restarts while logging on now and it takes a while for anything to appear on the screen. I guess there's a problem with one of the other devices, possibly the monitor, or maybe the socket?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Since you took it in for service and problems remain...I think that another service call is in order.  We have no way of knowing what was done or not done to modify the system and there's little point in speculating randomly, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users