Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade my First Build or Build my 2nd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chunm

Chunm

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hey Guys,

On a fateful day in February of 2011, I came here for advice on my first build.  I was a poor college kid with only $500 to spend and no idea on anything computer component related. Then with some great advice I was able to build my first rig.  One that I am still using today. 

Now, no longer a poor college kid, instead a poor working man with still no real knowledge of anything computer component related, I come to you for more advice. My system is still working great, but should I upgrade her or make my 2nd build and use my first as a secondary?

The Following are the system parts.  My budget is $150 for upgrade(s) or $700 for new build(I can put my OS "7" into the new build). Thanks in advance

Case:  COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ODD: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9A G

GPU: MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

for about $60, you can add a 120 GB SSD (to be used as a boot drive) - - you'd be surprised at the overall increase in speed. Also, for another modest price increase, you can bump your ram up from 4 to 8GB... I don't know how tight your budget is, but if you can afford it, both of those upgrades will increase performance - maybe not exponentionally - but certainly noticeably...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#3 Chunm

Chunm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the Advice.  I just have one question.

What should I look for in RAM besides 8gb, will any desktop RAM work in my computer?

#4 Greg-.-

Greg-.-

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the Advice.  I just have one question.

What should I look for in RAM besides 8gb, will any desktop RAM work in my computer?

no not any pc ram would work. I believe you need a certain kind but I am also new to Pc building just thorwing in my 2cents.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

The specs for the motherboard say that it supports up to 16GB ram total, and the largest ram on the supported ram list is a 4gb chip. So an 8gb chip probably won't work. But you can go 4+4+4+4, or keep the 2+2 you have now and add two 4 gig chips. It doesn't support anything faster than 1333 (without some overclocking thing), and it's DDR3.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Swapping out the motherboard for something else would require a new Windows license if you are using an OEM/System Builder copy.  If you consider an AMD FX CPU, you should aim for an AMD 900 series chipset for the motherboard to ensure complete compatibility.  Getting more RAM or a larger hard drive would help, depending on what programs you run,  I would go for a platform upgrade to an FX series or go for an i5.  After that, if you have the money, a GPU upgrade.  Most of the underlying infrastructure for this PC can easily be reused.

What are you wanting to upgrade this PC for?

3939.png

#7 Chunm

Chunm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

So after reading everyone's comments this is what I am looking at.

New SSD to just run my OS and use my old Hard drive as storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148819&cm_re=Crucial_MX100-_-20-148-819-_-Product

and

More Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148822&cm_re=Crucial_4GB_DDR3_1333-_-20-148-822-_-Product

We use the computer for School work (Running MS Word, Powerpoint, & Excel) and watching movies. Considering that, should I still look at getting a new mother board and CPU?  Re-installing windows to the new system should not be a problem.  I did purchase an OEM, but from what I read, if I call Microsoft and explain to them I am upgrading my mother board they will reactivate it.  

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:07 AM

If that is all you're doing, then you don't need a new motherboard or cpu, and you barely need more ram, but ram will make things a bit smoother I imagine. SSD will load windows and stuff faster.

Perhaps I am cheap but if that's all I was doing I wouldn't even upgrade anything.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

Microsoft's licensing defines a PC based on a motherboard, so, new motherboard equals a new PC.  System Builder/OEM copies are to be installed on only one PC and may not be transferred to another.  Only full, boxed, retail copies can be transferred.  Technically, there is nothing preventing you from reusing an OEM copy and reactivate by calling Microsoft, only a licensing/legal one.  Here is the FAQ on licensing:  http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=oOwu-GO1w82?hashlink=faq2

Here is what they say about licensing and motherboard upgrades:  Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

Based on what you are going to be doing, I don't see an advantage to getting a new platform.  You may not even need more RAM unless your schoolwork involves CAD or crunching scientific data.  Buying an SSD would help load Windows faster along with any frequently used programs you decide to install on it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users