Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help resurrecting a dead computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slyfox10

Slyfox10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Well, my computer died (Watchdogs DPC) and I wish to revive it by wiping the old hard-drive, re-installing windows, and adding some new upgrades. I will keep the Hard-drive, the CD Rom, and that's about it. I currently have this hard-drive which I will keep for a while until I upgrade : Storage: 465GB Seagate ST500DM0 02-1BD142 SCSI Disk Device (SATA). 26 °C And this Optical Drive which I plan to keep: Optical Drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB SCSI CdRom Device. I then wish to add these components: CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX. Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128627&cm_re=ga_970a_d3p-_-13-128-627-_-Product RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL. GPU: ASUS DirectCU II R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card. PSU: EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active. These will all work fine together, right? If I wish to play any games, such as BF4, will it run at high and 60FPS+? I will probably need another fan right? I have 2 giant fans from it which I will probably use, which should suffice. Thanks. I already own Windws 8.1 and I will upgrade to 8.2 soon afterwards. Will this also support two monitors? I know how to re-install everything, and I will probably get another Case since the USB's in the front got smashed up a bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

So many variables and oportunities for it to go wrong.  I'd start with a complete back up of everything you currently have.  If you have the WIN8 disk(s)   a repair might be possible after a hardware change and wiping the hard drive for a clean install and then the backup or a reinstall routine for each program and upgrade to WIN8.  What games were being run before?

#3 Slyfox10

Slyfox10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

I didn't game on it before, and I'll just wipe the hardrive after I set everything up with a clean install of windows. Nothing I need is on that hardrive. So I don't care if I lose anything on it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users