Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain websites are painful to run (very slow)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 musicmaker29

musicmaker29

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi All,

I'm a little bit stuck on this one.  I am running an old PC, but to be honest despite it's age it runs very well and i frequently run some very resource heavy things all at once (media player, guitar tone emulators, DAWs, iTunes, photoshop etc) and it works fine.  So I'm quite perplexed that certain sites take an AGE to load on my PC. 

Examples would be:

Facebook, youtube, failblog and any site that features lots of adverts.

Also, any site that automatically loads comments etc as you scroll down is painfully slow.

When I'm on youtube I will sometimes find that, when typing in the search box, there is a massive lag and some letters will be missed out even though they are most definately punched in on the keyboard.

I've run malware bytes and MSE, cleared the DNS cache, disabled several plugins, updated graphics drivers to the latest....none of which have worked and I'm not really sure what's up with it.  The above issues are the same across both IE and firefox.

I also have a problem that whenever I click a link from google, 9 times out of 10 I have to hit back more than once as there are several re-directs between google and the site.  I mention that only in case it helps diagnose the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is getting very annoying (!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hello, and Welcome

What is the make and model of the computer? Is the OS XP?

If you do not have the Adblock+ and Noscript add-ons for firefox install those and see if  your browsing improves.

If you disable MSE does the browsing speed improve?

#3 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hi John, thanks for the reply!

The PC is a Dell, not sure which model and there is nothing on it that says unfortunately.  It has an AMD AThlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2Ghz, 4GB of RAM and is running Vista (32bit) Home Premium SP2.

I'll do those checks and let you know, thanks!

#4 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

Disabling MSE has no noticeable effect.  Will try and source those plugins.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

Are you using wireless to connect to the internet?

#6 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

No, I am going through a router though but it's wired.  Other devices on the wirless internet work ok (iphone, ipad, xbox, smart TV etc).

No script has made a difference in firefox - it is still a bit slow on youtube but it's a marked improvement!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Do the following. Right click your Network adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

Another thing you can try is to use a different DNS server like OpenDNS. Here is the procedure for Vista. If you currently have a DNS server shown, write it down so you can go back if OpenDNS does not show an improvment.

#8 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01ED1028&REV_02

Thanks!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

Did changing the DNS servers to OpenDNS help?

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Just a tip, sites are sometimes slow because thye are loading a lot more content than you actually want to see (junk like flash based adverts, or flash based stuff which is legitimate but not of interest to you). You should set all plugins to "ask to activate" (for firefox) or "clcik to play" for chrome. Tis will speed up your browsing a bit as when you load a page only the text and images will load unless you ask it to load videos and other high bandwidth content.

Also i notice this "I also have a problem that whenever I click a link from google, 9 times out of 10 I have to hit back more than once as there are several re-directs between google and the site. I mention that only in case it helps diagnose the problem." and it sounds suspicious. Where are the redirects going to? I would advise scanning your computer (a full scan) with malwarebytes, then with eset online scanner and also with adwcleaner and junkware removal tool (both available on this site).

Edited by rp88, 06 December 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

Thanks all for your help so far and sorry for the delayed reply, I do appreciate your time.

John - the openDNS change did not make things any better unfortunately.

rp88 - the redirects are all google.co.uk/ then some characters.  I ran full malwarebytes scan and it came back ok.  Where is eset available from?  I can only find a paid version, is there a free one?

I have downloaded google chrome and it is much better than the other browsers - not perfect, but vastly improved.  I'm still a little concerned I may have some sort of junkware or malware though so I'd like to try and sort this out.

Thanks agaiN!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

Did you download and run Adwcleaner as rp88 suggested?

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Use the blue button to get eset online scanner, the page seems to be offering a free trial aswell of the full antivirus but eset online scanner is a fully functional scanning product, not just a trial, it doesn't provide real time protection, just on demand scans.
If you are suing IE it will do some silly stuff online with activeX scripts, but if you use chrome or firefox it will direct you to download an exe file. Once you have downloaded this exe file run it, choose your settings, make sure to uncheck "remove found threats" just incase of false positives then ensure you are connected to the internet so the program can update it's definitions. Once it has updated it's definitions and started scanning you can then disconnect from the internet and the scanner will keep running while you are offline, you will need a connection every time you wish to start a scan with it though.

Edited by rp88, 11 December 2014 - 12:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

John,

The adware cleaner reported this:

# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Found : C:\ProgramData\Trymedia

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\ask.com
Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\veoh.com
Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Key Found : HKCU\Software\YahooPartnerToolbar
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtl
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtl.1
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtlSecondary
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtlSecondary.1
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\980289C22F80A7C4BB9323DC61255E4E
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\FA96423FE2B98E248A3B23548D1E22D9
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Viewpoint

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v9.0.8112.16592

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v6.0.2 (en-US)

-\\ Google Chrome v39.0.2171.95

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2104 octets] - [11/12/2014 16:36:13]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2164 octets] ##########

I haven't 'cleaned' it yet - shall i go ahead and do so?

Thanks again!

#15 musicmaker29

musicmaker29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Thanks rp88, I will do that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users