Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New BIOS Installed, now have some LAN driver issues?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Hi guys, 

so I recently changed my BIOS chip because of a problem I was having with my peripherals, I installed the new BIOS fine; however my LAN isn't working I am getting the Error Code 10. 

My motherboard is an Asus M5A78-l/USB3 with my new BIOS installed with the latest drivers. 

I have tried reinstalling some drivers but no luck yet. 

Many Thanks, 

Luke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Do you have a yellow exclamation mark next to your LAN adapter in Device Manager. If you do right click, select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#3 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hi thanks for the reply,

the first line is

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV8168&SUBSYS_85051043&REV_09

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Download and install the Windows 7 driver from here.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1694995)
7.090 2014/11/28 6021k  

#5 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi thanks again John,

unfortunately no luck, is there anything else I can try

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

Because you updated the BIOS, did you set it back to default settings after the  update? I would also look in BIOS to see if there is a setting for the NIC and make sure it is enabled.

Edit: After the drive update, did you reboot the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#7 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

it was an updated BIOS, however it was actually a new chip that I had placed in because I wiped my old one. The new chip installed seemed fine but I'm not sure if I did set it to default.

I did use the jumper for 10 seconds, if you mean NIc in BIOS I do have The Controller set to "enabled" there is another setting which is something to do with ethernet or boot with ROM config.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

If the Controller is enabled then I am not sure what the problem is. The second setting is for booting from LAN which you do not need.

You can install the chipset driver from the MB support site. That may or may not help.

When you said replaced the chip, do you mean you replaced the BIOS ROM chip? If the MB is still under warranty, I would RMA it.

If the warranty is gone you may want to look at purchasing a USB to Ethernet adapter. For faster speeds there is the USB 3 adapter or PCIe adapter.

#9 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

I did install the new chipset drivers nothing worked,

yeah the chip was a new BIOS ROM chip, I tried to update my old one but it wiped it instead; the new one came programmed with the latest BIOS update.

the MB is in warranty, but the MB should be fine; I had my LAN working fine before I changed the BIOS.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

Did you get the BIOS chip from Asus? Does it have the latest firmware. According to the MB support site the latest version is Version 1701 for the MB but it is dated 2013.

I think something in the BIOS is preventing the NIC from functioning correctly. If ASUS provided the BIOS ROM, I would contact them and ask for another or contact the company you purchased the ROM chip from.

You can try disabling the controller in BIOS. Save the settings. Then enable it again. Save the settings.

#11 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

Does it mean anything that I can ping

127.0.0.1 and it works, but pinging Microsoft ends up with "could not find host microsoft.com"

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

I am not sure but 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address to your own computer. I believe that is why you can ping it.

#13 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

right so I disabled then enabled unfortunately didn't fix it,

the new chip I bought from a different company called MyTech.

I have noticed that on the new chip something else pops up at the start with "american megatrends" a black screen with text but it flies by too fast to read my old bios never did this; is that just because of new software? or is there something to configure it does say press 2 commands to execute something but i'm not sure

#14 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

I have dropped them an email, hopefully I will get a response,

thanks for the replies btw I really appreciate it; haven't ever touched a BIOS before so it's a bit strange

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Not sure about those two commands. I think Mr Tech should be able to answer that. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users