Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Routine Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Is it a good idea to perform certain routine maintenance tasks on the Windows Registry, other than perhaps doing backups? If so, what should be done and what are the tools in Windows to accomplish these maintenance tasks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Registry cleaners are snake oil IMHO. They do not help and if fact cause more problems. The only time you need to clean the registry is because of Malware and that is either done by programs like Malwarebytes or Virus Removal Experts that know what they are doing.

For example, I had .NET Framework on an XP computer and cleaned thousands of registry entries. Compacted the registry and there was no noticable decrease in Boot time. It's not worth cleaning a Registry Hive of a few MB's and can actually increase boot time as you are actually fragmenting the registry.

At most you should Defrag the HDD if you have XP. If you have Windows 7, and I believe Windows 8 also, the Defrag utility is set to automatically run every Wednesday through the Task Scheduler. You can also clean out the temp files with Ccleaner but do not use it's registry cleaner.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#3 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks you for the advice.

I read about the issues with registry cleaners and that prompted my question. I thought there might be some native Registry tools within Windows itself (8.1 in my case) that should be used on a periodic basis.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

There are none. The only thing it has is called Optimize Drives which is a fancy name for Disk Deframenter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users