Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Tools for Cleaning Up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr_a

mr_a

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer Folks! 

New to the site, first post. Just curious if anyone has a list of "general cleaners" they keep on them that have worked for them, I'm helpdesk and I now keep Combo, JRT, Bytes, and EEK on a thumb for computers that report as infected, are there any others anyone would like to suggest? It's a large thumb, I'm not too worried about size. 

Admin, if this is posted in the incorrect area please let me know. 

On a side note, whats the general opinion on EEK? 

Thanks, 

mr_a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm interested in this, too... My current first-line attack on evil computoid demons is to light some incense and format anything and everything that looks at me funny. I know more sophisticated methods exist, but I'm sure you're all familiar with the "I need some expert help with this" dance as it relates to all things computer: ask 5 people, receive 5 wildly different - even contradictory - opinions.

Humor (or whatever that was) aside, I'd definitely like to hear what the resident experts here have to say about this one...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

List of Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware or get a second opinion:

Many of these tools are stand-alone applications contained within zipped files...meaning they require no installation so after extraction, they can be copied to and run from usb drives.

Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are two of the more effective scanners recommended for use on a usb drive.

Note: AdwCleaner and JRT are specialized tools which will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants. With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in the Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

Not so Free malware scanning/removal programs:

Free Malware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:

For a list of other recommended security tools (i.e. SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol) and resources, please refer to:

BTW...you can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

Many vendors create specialized removal tools to deal with various infections and have them available for download on their website. If you need such a tool, it is best to download directly from the vendor's site rather than using a third-party hosting site such as CNET.

Free Malware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users