Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help me with my backup needs please :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hey there, I am in need of some help.

So my wife and I had a baby this year, and ever since she has been hounding me about getting her setup to backup her pictures on the cloud.  I'm pretty sure she is insisting on cloud storage as it's a new term, and everyone is doing it.  So here I am to seek some help from you guys who know better than me.

Here is what we currently have.
1 desktop running windows 8
2 laptops running windows 8

these are all networked together, so I have her copying the photos and things that she wants to protect onto the HD on the desktop so that they can't just disappear if something happens to her laptop. 

I told her I would look into a NAS solution, so that we would have our own personal cloud, but i'm seeing horrible reviews on things in the low price range I was hoping to spend.   Same thing with external HD's.  I was starting to wonder if I should just add a much larger internal HD to my desktop.(currently 700gb).  If I go that route, is there a backup software that is recommended so that we don't have to remember to copy things over?  Thanks for the help, I'm just getting a little overwhelmed here and could use some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:02 AM

Hi,
Its a good idea to backup on to cloud as that doesnt need you to plug and unplug a harddrive and crypto malwares cannot reach to them beyond an extend unless its mapped as a network drive. But an offline backup (to an external offline storage device or NAS) is cheaper and convenient to most.
Dropbox and One drive are good cloud services to sync data and personal files to a cloud service and across devices. Onedrive does not allow scheduled backup but will detect and sync changes made to the monitored files and folders.
Visit a review: http://www.in.techradar.com/news/internet/cloud-services/Best-cloud-backup-10-online-backup-services-tested/articleshow/38734816.cms (Picking an online service / tool must be done on the factors like amount of data to be stored, the security and privacy offered, cost per gb, accessibility across devices, encryption etc.)
And offline backup is always a good option as backup stays with you and not on somebody's server.
Windows have built in functionality for offline/network backup and you can use tools like Acronis True Image or Symantec System Recovery Tool for the purpose.
About scheduling an automatic backup, almost all tools allow it. But you must check manual backup once in a while.
Also, keeping a habit to regularly backup will give you
a lot of peace.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 03 December 2014 - 04:09 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I should've mentioned that i avoid monthly fees as much as possible.  That's why I was looking to do something in my home, not online.

#4 Rrocha

Rrocha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

Dempy, here in the company we use a Cobian Backup to automatic backups over ours windows machines.

http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm

http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm#screenshot

"Features

Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).

Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary.

Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies". Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption."

Peace !

#5 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Rrocha, Cobian looks like it's been a couple years since it's last been updated and does not list windows 8 compatibility. 

The more I'm thinking about it I think I will get a hard drive for my desktop, because when I think about what I need it seems like it does what I need.
-I don't NEED to access this stuff from "anywhere".
-I've never had a virus wipe out a computer or network.  I have had device failure, and that is the reason to back up these pictures and files... in case something happens to the original files or device that the files are on

I guess I was already leaning this way, I was just looking to see if anyone strongly advised against it and why.

I would still need to nail down a backup program.  Acronis looks good, but I was hoping there was a solid program for free, as I wouldn't need to purchase anything If I bought a WD my cloud(which was my original plan), and buying it would put me close to that price anyway.

#6 Rrocha

Rrocha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

demp, you can work using windows task schedule.
You can set a automatic transfer of your photos to your machine with windows 7 and make a backup from there using cobian or some compressor file(7zip) and put in a external HDD or in your preference machine.

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Hi,
Then the easy option is use Microsoft Windows's backup feature. Depending up on the version of Windows you use, backup features differ.
Some external hard drive manufacturers give built in software for backup function.
Most payed backup tools come with lifetime single purchase for offline version.
Acronis is good and have optional cloud.
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/
Here is another tool, which is free but I dont know its trustability : http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm
Watch for good deals by reputable online and brick and mortar stores on Black fridays and cyber monday sales if you opt for a paid program or program device package. That will save you some bucks for good use. Just copying the data manually is the cheapest and last hand option to go for.
Hope it helps...
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

You could backup the photos to something like OneDrive, but for a complete backup, I'd go with an online service like Crashplan.  It's good practice to maintain one local backup copy in your house and a second off-site just in case your home is destroyed.  It is also possible to configure Windows to backup to a NAS drive without any additional software.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users