Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

Windows XP Home SP3 : have had no problems for quite some time, gratefully.  Yesterday, however, Windows Explorer was not showing my I:\ external drive (which has happened before), so went into Admin to Drive Management or whatever it's called where I have previously renamed that drive correctly and gone on with life.  Usually C:\ (programs) evident as well as D:\ (partition with all files), E:\ (CD-ROM, etc., and the external drive with some other letter rather than its correct I:\ -- all I need to do is rename it to the correct I:\ and live happily ever after.

This time, though, the drives didn't show up as usual -- there was a Drive O and something else (E:\, as I recall); was a bit confused why it was different, so decided Drive O should be changed to I:\, which I did.

Suspect, however, that that was really C:\ and I changed it to I:\ ... 'cause now when I boot up it will go to the blue screen with MS Windows XP logo -- where the login box normally is -- and then just sit there.  Is it possible I did, in fact, rename C:\ to I:\ and that is why the system won't go beyond the blue page

Tried to go into Safe Mode to see if that gave any options, but none appeared; also tried Recovery Console but couldn't find any useful stuff there.

Any thoughts / suggestions?  Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:03 AM

Remove any and all external drives.

Remove any internal drives that you KNOW don't have the OS on them.

Boot the machine.

What "should" happen is that Windows will detect which partition is bootable, and rename it automatically to the C: drive and boot normally.

Let us know.

#3 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Thanks.  Attempted as you directed; same outcome.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:46 AM

You can try a Repair install of XP. It reloads XP in a non-destructive manner (it doesn't erase personal data). Go here ... http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm .

And more info on the Recovery Console ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users