Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data recovery software needed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RonaldHam

RonaldHam

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

My ssd (840 evo)(system drive) had some firmware problems leading me to believe windows 7 had a faulty update and I would once again need to format and start over on my system drive. Normally this isn't a problem however this time windows got my 1.5tb data drive confused and called it my ssd so I formatted the wrong drive losing ALL of my data and windows installing on my 1.5tb drive. After I figured out what happened I disconnected the data drive and have been looking for data recovery solutions.
I understand I may not recover all the data since windows probably overwrote the data but I'm still holding on to hope.

Need solutions and any help regarding the matter. GO!
Thanks

This is a huge drive and no free software that I have found will even put a dent in it.
I'm not trying to buy a product blindly and it not work either. I'd rather buy a program after I know it works and I can justify having it around for moments like this.

Edited by RonaldHam, 02 December 2014 - 08:00 PM.

End of Transmission...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

*** Begin Transmission ***

Hi

I haven't used TestDisk on an SSD but TestDisk became a good friend when I had the shop and customers came in with the same issue as you.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Be sure to see the Documentation Section for Step by Step guides.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

*** End Transmission ***

#3 RonaldHam

RonaldHam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

*** Begin Transmission ***

Hi

I haven't used TestDisk on an SSD but TestDisk became a good friend when I had the shop and customers came in with the same issue as you.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Be sure to see the Documentation Section for Step by Step guides.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

*** End Transmission ***

Thank you I will start reading up on it now and see how it does. Good thing is my ssd is just fine samsung fixed the problem with firmware update. Now to restore my dinosaur platter drive ;)

That program seems like it would work great however I would need another drive to write Data to and I do not have a drive that large laying around.

The search continues

Edited by RonaldHam, 02 December 2014 - 08:52 PM.

End of Transmission...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Because the Windows install has overwritten sectors to who knows where on the disk, I think your only option at this point would require another drive to retrieve the data from a scan using either PhotoRec which is a part of Testdisk or Easeus Data Recovery. It lets you recovery 1GB for free to see if the program works.

Easeus would do the scan first and then let you do the recovery. You could do the recovery in steps if you do not have a recovery drive large enough, uploading to some cloud storage when the recovery drive was getting to capacity.

The downside is you may get generic file names with the proper extension. You would need to rename the files. PhotoRec does recover files with generic names and recovers files in real time which would not work if you do not have a recovery drive large enough.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2014 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users