Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LMC17-32bit 16GB USB Full Install

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

As usual I am all messed up with my instal? omg.  The problem is...my severe lack of experience! lol. 

It is taking like three hours to install.  I think the problem is that I used an old iso/DVD-R, now I am sitting through hours of "Updates". 

I "Unmounted" the USB in gparted and then ran the LMC17 Installer(perhaps this is where I went wrong).  I then set my "Main /" at 12288GB.  Now that I think about it, there was no option to Format.  Okay I am done, I don't think I will post any more as something is clearly wrong.

I ran the firewall script, then ran the sudo apt-get update script and that all went well.  But then...I had to run the Updates because the little blue exclamation mark was highlighted.

Currently I am using the internet with this install but it is very slow and still updating, I am not at home but would like to go sometime soon lol.  Things seem to be getting faster at the moment but still have a way to go, help please.  Any comments on what I did wrong would be of help.

Instructions on how to do this would be nice as I can't find my notes on how to do it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 December 2014 - 03:24 PM.
moved to general Linux forum

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

hi punk, me. This was Qiana Cinnamon, yeah? I haven't used Cinnamon, not sure where the differences, if any, lie.

There's a YouTube video here that deals with the install process for 64-bit, it's 36 minutes and I'm only 3 mins into it as I write this, if you can access it that might help?

Also did you check SHAsum hashes at both ends?

As for "old iso", the Distro release itself only dates back to May, I think, I can't see that that should provide a major problem, but then I haven't tried it myself yet.

Gotta load of washing in the machine to hang out soon, but I'll check back.

:wizardball: Wiz

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

I "Unmounted" the USB in gparted and then ran the LMC17 Installer(perhaps this is where I went wrong).  I then set my "Main /" at 12288GB.  Now that I think about it, there was no option to Format.  Okay I am done, I don't think I will post any more as something is clearly wrong.

What? Be clear with your questions.

When installing to USB.

1 boot the PC from CD or DVD.

2 Insert a USB stick into a USB port.

3 Install Linux to USB like you would to Hard Drive.

There is no reason to be messing with GParted, Just use the Linux default installer and let it format the USB.

Currently I am using the internet with this install but it is very slow and still updating

How fast is your internet connection?

As for "old iso", the Distro release itself only dates back to May,

This is the ISO he downloaded when he first got Linux Mint.

Also did you check SHAsum hashes at both ends?

We went thru this a few months ago when he first got that iso.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

Nick, after midnight pcpunk's time and he is sleeping. Not talking about him behind his back, but for when he is online again:

• pcpunk may be confused      AND
  • you may be confused, understandably so

Here's why

1. The material you posted above got me to searching. You are talking about his post Linux Mint v2 Updates, and the blog referred to was this one, now archived, published by Clem. Where I might be wrong is whether he then downloaded Cinnamon, however he has been talking for some months now about using Mate?
  2. However, on New to Linux, the other day, #181, he said

I think next I will give Cinnamon a go as I prefer that desktop, full install to USB.

But he also started that Post with

Hey guys, I am on my MintMate17 Full Install LiveUSB

With the former one (which was actually the latter comment, if you follow me??) I assumed he was going cinnamon, hence my advice.

He may have taken the opportunity to download both V2s, Cinnamon and Mate, back in July.

Can you tell us pcpunk?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

NickAu1 Quote:  What? Be clear with your questions.

OMG! Sorry Nick, I was really stressed, tired and hungry.  I got the pc shutdown and stopped the "Updates", failed install of course. 

Remember, I have only done this once and I did it for fun and to learn-but in the end I should have had some notes to use.  Again, my health is not good and yesterday it was really bad.  I will leave with a couple of questions for my education.

I thought I would experiment a little but made one stupid mistake.  I don't have access to my Favorites and forgot to make some notes for this install.  I understand how to install, but forgot how the USB should be prior to install.  I had a bunch of files on it so thought it would be best to wipe clean with gparted.  Was not sure if this could be done with the "LMC17 Installer" so formated the usb prior to install.  I even created partitions while in gparted, then I thought, I'd better do that while in the installer and just "Unmounted".  Why I Unmounted I don't know and believe that was the problem.  I am attempting again today so I can use my favorite Distro.  Again, my health is not good and yesterday it was really bad and it makes it very hard to think.  I will leave with a couple of questions for my education.

1. If I have files on the usb there is no need to wipe clean with gparted via a format, just use the installer?

2. Can I use gparted to create partitions prior to install?  Don't need too, just wanted to understand more.

3. Can I surf the web while installing?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

OMG! Sorry Nick, I was really stressed, tired and hungry.  I got the pc shutdown and stopped the "Updates", failed install of course. 

Remember, I have only done this once and I did it for fun and to learn-but in the end I should have had some notes to use.  Again, my health is not good and yesterday it was really bad.  I will leave with a couple of questions for my education

There is no pressure, Take your time, Even if it takes 6 months, I am more than happy to help you.

Was not sure if this could be done with the "LMC17 Installer"

Yes it can treat the USB stick as a Hard Drive during install let Linux Mint handle all that.

3. Can I surf the web while installing?

No.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have never seen this warning before, I'm guessing that I choose yes?

Screenshotfrom2014-12-03210125_zps589a28

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

SDB is the USB stick, so yes.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

Got it installed after 1.1/2 hours from when I chose "Install".  I was going to post a gparted pic of this install but I have no gparted?  gparted was included in the LiveDVD I used so I would think it should be included in the Install?  I think this is telling me something went wrong.  

I have not run the "sudo apt-get update" yet but did click on the "Updates Icon" because it was highlighted, Updates took about one and a half hours.  I'm thinking a new iso is in order if I do this again. 

I just Installed gparted via Software Manager.    

I guess I will run the Updates command now but don't know if I really need it after all those Updates.

I should also mention that it is quite slow, but this maybe normal with my laptop.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 December 2014 - 10:14 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

Just remember this, Running from USB will make everything slower.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

I ran the Update command and all went well. 

I guess it's acceptible for a USB? but is no faster than the LiveDVD and maybe even slower in some instances.  I was under the impression that a USB would be a litter faster as I have experienced.  Nick, no comment on gparted not being installed?  No biggie just thought is was not normal.  I might have to do another install just to see for meself lol.  These things make me crazy, I gotta know how everything ticks.  I was hoping for a little more speed as I really like Cinnamon.

Here is the gparted pic

LMC17-16GBUSBINSTALL2014-12-03223350_zps

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

Nick, no comment on gparted not being installed? No biggie just thought is was not normal.

No. I also think its strange that they include GParted on the Live Disk and yet is not installed, I have no idea why the Dev's did it that way.

I might have to do another install just to see for meself lol.

Nothing wrong with that, Each time you do it you learn a bit more.

I was hoping for a little more speed as I really like Cinnamon.

That all has to do with read write speeds of the USB.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

I also think its strange that they include GParted on the Live Disk and yet is not installed, I have no idea why the Dev's did it that way.

Don't know why the devs created it that way, but those of us with SSD's are thankful. Ubuntu 14.04/Linux MInt 17 brought SSD support 5 years after the fact (Windows 7 has had full support since mid-2009, during the end of the beta), but I guess late is better than never.  :)

GParted was the "go to" partition tool for many years, for most all computer users, long before all of these Windows partition tools were freely available, going back to the XP days. To this day, many still pre-formats their HDD/SSD with GParted to ensure partition alignment, so it's good to have it in a Linux install disk. Today's HDD's are Advanced Format, and 4K partition alignment is important on these also, according to various documentation by the major OEM's. Some still widely used OS's, such as XP, cannot create a partition & it be properly aligned. GParted is the tool that's been trusted for years to get the job done & right. 

I don't see GParted going anywhere in the immediate future on install media, it's still in high demand. I've yet to install Linux Mint 17 (now 17.1) to an SSD w/out the assistance of GParted, so will be interested to see just how LInux MInt handles partition alignment from it's installer. I know that it's TRIM capable. But can it align the SSD with it's installer? I'll soon be finding out. 

That all has to do with read write speeds of the USB.

+1! :thumbup2:

Many consumer Flash drives are still Class 6 as far as speeds goes, and this includes many budget USB 3.0 Flash drives, which is reality are hardly no faster than USB 2.0. 

If installing to Flash drive, or SDHC card, it's best to go with a UHS-I (Class 10) card, many 16GiB models are on promo for $7-$10 on Newegg, including shipping. However, unless one has a badly failing drive, the experience will still be slower than installed to HDD. 

Well, you actually have a couple of choices here. It's been 6+ months since your Linux MInt 17 install. Do you still need XP? I noticed long ago that it uses over 50GiB of your HDD. Even if you need it, you can use GParted to shrink that install from the right end enough to perform a Cinnamon install, and try 64 bit this time, you may see a performance increase. If you could shrink it to 35GiB, you can run it from HDD, just don't bother with a /home partition, and you can use your existing swap space. Just make a 16GiB main (/) partition, assign the same swap, and let the installer finish the job. You then have a tri-boot notebook, although I recommend you find yourself a larger HDD, or better yet, a budget SSD. A 120-128GiB is often on promo for $70 or so, and I've seen 240-250GiB ones for as little as $100. 

If you think that 4GiB of RAM was a boost to your computer, a SSD would supercharge it, and you can go with a budget one. There are even options that will allow you to keep your XP install to the drive it's on (an optical bay drive adapter), and run your optical drive from a $5 USB cable specially designed for the purpose. 

As to brands of SSD's on promo, the Crucial MX-100 & M500, which I've seen on promo a lot, will do you fine. It'll likely outlive the computer you're using, and you'll have a 3 to 5x overall speed increase, booting in seconds. If your connection is SATA 2, it'll be more. The reason why I recommend Crucial, is they've been in the SSD business for years, and it's been a reliable brand. Just so happens, my first SSD was a 128GiB Crucial m4, and so was my last one, a 256GiB M550 mSATA. That m4 just keeps on rocking, even on a SATA 2 connection. 

That said, I don't blame you for trying Mint on USB, I've done the same. However the bottom line is, Live Mode runs faster, because it's running from RAM, once the files are loaded from your optical drive or Flash drive installer. The USB drive install is a good concept, however for best results, one needs certain "certified" brands (such as those designed for Windows To Go), and not only are they costly, you also don't have the USB 3.0 ports to support these type of drives. These drives runs (reads & writes) at 90-100MiB/sec, or better. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but am rather laying down the facts, running an install from a USB 2.0 port is dirt slow. And the more reason you should consider shrinking that 51GiB space that XP is hogging, 35GiB is plenty for a mostly unused XP install. Or the other options I mentioned, if you can pull it off. If not, then shrinking the XP install is your best option. 

If you still have the 64 bit media around from one of your previous Cinnamon installs, try that one, it's an LTS version in 17. 17.1, .2, and so on will be short releases (like Mint 14, 15 & 16), and will fall out of support before 17 itself does. 

If we can further assist, feel free to let us know, you know by now that we're always more than happy to assist our members. :)

All the Best,

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 December 2014 - 01:27 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

OK - I was right at #4, then, pcpunk - you have just installed Cinnamon? No wonder there was some confusion.

I'll leave you in the capable hands of the long-time Advisor and the NEWEST Advisor!

Later

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

Hey Pc.

I just installed Linux Mint 17 XFCE in Virtual machine, This way I can provide screen shots with any future instructions.

Anyway the install took about an hour because I also downloaded updates, when it was installed I rebooted Mint and as usual it asked me if I wanted to do updates I said yes the download took over 1 1/2 hours ( yes one and a half). I have good download speed about 15 Mbs. Look at the speed in the screen shot, It seems the Linux Mint servers are a bit slow. That's 2 and a half hours to install a OS. I love Ubuntu nice and fast.

53a980.png

Edited by NickAu1, 04 December 2014 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users