Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Computer Access

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

i wasnt sure where to put this post, feel free to move it if i didnt select the correct category,

i wanted to know if anybody has any links to articles or videos that explain how to access a computer remotely,

i have a family member that has alot of viruses on thier pc, i would like to access their computer remotely to do a cleanup and virus removal remotely from my computer as we live a long distance away,

when working on thier computer remotely, is it possible to download and install programs from the internet to the remote computer?

do we both need to be using the same OS?

Edited by mikey11, 02 December 2014 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

I doubt you'd be able to. Just have them post in the Am I infected section. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

There are programs like logmein, tightVNC and teamviewer that you can use for remote connections.

Personally I wouldn't want to be connecting to a compromised machine.  Virus's are all about hacking these days.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,517 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

If remoting into an infected pc you should be safe as long as you remove your disk sharing in RDP prior to connecting. Then once connected download the tools needed. However, you may need to drop tools onto their system. You could run RDP inside a virtual machine and connect that way. Doing it that way would still want to keep intergration tools disabled on the virtual machine so your host drives are protected. You would need to drop the files and tools needed onto the virtual machine drive prior to connecting. You could also drop files on a cloud storage and get them that way. Whichever you prefer, but do keep your pc protected.

Edited by technonymous, 02 December 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

Provided they have Internet access, Teamviewer (free for personal use).

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

RDP also requires configuring port forwarding on the routers and by the sounds of it this isn't something Mikey11 is familiar with.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

thanks for all the replies, i might give this one a try, it seems pretty simple to use

i have been playing around with the windows "remote desktop connection" but it seems a bit confusing.....this "teamviewer" seems alot easier

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

just wanted to update and say thanks for that, it worked perfectly and was so very easy to setup and use

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

Glad to be of assistance mikey11.  There is a limited number of machines you can use it for, I believe 10, so it is great for helping the family, but you need to pay for it if you want to do more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users