Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phishing scam that penetrated Wall Street just might work against you, too

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Researchers have uncovered a group of Wall Street-savvy hackers that has penetrated the e-mail accounts of more than 100 companies, a feat that has allowed them to obtain highly valuable plans concerning corporate acquisitions and other insider information.

FIN4, as the group is known, relies on a set of extremely simple tactics that in many cases has allowed them to remain undetected since at least the middle of 2013, according to a report published Monday from security firm FireEye. Members boast a strong command of the English language and knowledge of corporate finance and Fortune 500 culture. They use that savvy to send highly targeted spearphishing e-mails that harvest login credentials for Microsoft Outlook accounts. The group then uses compromised accounts of one employee, customer, or partner to send spearphishing e-mails to other company insiders. At times, the attackers will inject a malicious message into an ongoing e-mail discussion among multiple people, furthering their chances of success.

Phishing scam that penetrated Wall Street just might work against you, too

Members please note

With Christmas just around the corner it is a good time to remind everybody to be extra vigilant when shopping on line and using an ATM, Just yesterday a skimmer was found on a ATM in my town.

Look at the ATM carefully and if it don't seem right contact the bank or the police straight away.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

yes ATM Skimmers, brian krebbs does some great aticles on skimemrs if anyone is interested and also be very carefull of e-cards.

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

ATM Skimmers, POS Skimmers, Chip scanning and #@*&$%#@!?!@%$

Forensic data recovery and examination of magnetic swipe card cloning devices. http://www.dfrws.org/2007/proceedings/p16-masters.pdf

A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is only 4 digits. Eg. 1234 So, 10^4 = 10000 PIN combinations only.

Since the PIN isn't on the credit card, and so the reason a hidden camera is also part of the skimming device, why not brute-force the PIN?

Assume I took too much psychotropic drugs today, and all is in a "Purple Haze" - why not brute-force the PIN?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

I have never found the need to use an ATM. From their introduction, they have always been an unnecessary security risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

I have never found the need to use an ATM. From their introduction, they have always been an unnecessary security risk.

Sadly the town I live in has NO banks only ATM and EFTPOS, The nearest bank of any kind is a 20 minute drive away.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

My bank is a 30 minute drive away...but I'd hardly call the rural area where I live a town. :wink:
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

I can remmember when i was around 10 swping my mums bank card in the VHS heads and the pin would appear on the TV. Any oen else ever do this?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

Be Wary of ‘Order Confirmation’ Emails