Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three Hard Drive Crashes in Six Months

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrewKilleen

DrewKilleen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

My third computer just crashed with the same exact problem as the two previous computers. I was able to run diagnostics on all three, and they all gave the same message, that the hard drive failed. Two of them still boot, but are so slow that you really can't use them to do anything. Both of these two computers are Windows 7, and the third is Windows Vista. We're now down to one functional computer, and I becoming very concerned that the same thing may be happening to it. I'd of course like to prevent that from happening.

My question is if it's possible that there could be anything that would be causing these hard drives to fail. They're all different brands, but they do all sit in the same exact room. So is possible that there could be something with the electrical supply causing damage to the hardware, or perhaps there could be an excessive amount of dust collecting inside the computer? The house is only three years old, so I'd be surprised to hear that any of this is the case, but I also find it hard to believe that I could have so many hard drive failures in such a short period of time out of nothing more than coincidence. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Laptops? Desktops? Bumping, kicking, dropping, any small g-force while a drive is running can destroy it instantly. I have seen a fall of less than 4 inches destroy a laptop hard drive.

Hard drives have spinning moving parts, they are destined to fail. In my experience Toshiba has had a run of bad luck with drives, a lot of their drives I see fail within 6 months from new. It seems to only affect their laptop drives.

A power problem might cause an issue but I would assume you would have other problems with crashes unrelated to hard drives specifically.

It is always a good idea to have your data in more than 1 location on more than 1 device at any given time if you do not want to risk losing it. Raid is NOT a backup solution. It is redundant but it won't save you if your computer starts on fire.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 DrewKilleen

DrewKilleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

Two desktops and an all-in-one, none of which where handled roughly in any way. 

What you're saying about the power problem makes sense. The diagnostics on all three did say that the hard drive is the only part experiencing problems. Everything else works fine, which is definitely good since that means I can just replace the hard drive, but that still gets pretty expensive when the hard drives are crashing so quickly. Do you have any recommendations as to what hard drives tend to be more reliable? 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Western Digital or Seagate are the 2 that I use the most. In this case it could just be a run of bad luck... Some people say hotter drives don't last as long. Google and a few other companies that released statistics showed that heat didn't seem to matter much. Personally I try to keep my drives cool if possible. I have never had a drive fail completely. Maybe I am just lucky. I have had some that developed bad blocks, as soon as I find out a drive has had a bad block I plan on replacing it. Drives with a few bad blocks are more likely to fail.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users