Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to "repair" a Windows 7 installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rangerws

rangerws

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

I have been having issues with my Windows 7 SP1 insllation for a few weeks- quite a bit of

"not responding" messages, whether in IE or using my Excel spreadsheets, and recently

getting a message everytime I open Internet explorer, saying IE is not my default browser andwould I like it to be; saying Yes or going to Tools/Internet options/Make it default does not work. SO something is wrong, somewhere. I don't have andy othe browser installed

thouigh Chrome was installed surrepticiously at one point and I immediately uninstalled it.

There are however quite a few entries in the Registry for it.

One of the malware forums suggested running Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, Hitman,

HijackThis, JRT etc but none of these have found much. I use Panda as my antivrus, Zonealarm as my firewall, Spybot and Winpatrol to help prevent incicents from happening.

On another website I found one user reporting the same problem, but his issue was never

resolved; he ended up doing a "repair" of his Win7 installation using his Win7 install discs.

I would do the same, except I don't have discs- my computer came with a feature where

the win7 installation occurred automatically when I first turned it on, and those install files

seem to be buried in a part of the disk that is not a partition.

Is there a way to "activate" those, or better still, does anyone know how to fix my problem.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated.

Rangerws

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

Worth a read:  Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html .

Louis

#3 rangerws

rangerws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply-

re Forum rules- I have no problems with any of those- I did do a search for a similar topic but not find

one that seemed appropriate

re Prep guide- I have used many tools over the last week, but issues not resolved

re Am I infected- again, have read many forums on malware, etc. not sure what causes problem

re BC announcements - have browsed thru  several times (well not all in detail yet)

re 16 tips- I follow 15 of those 16 tips- admittedly, have not done backups for a while, but just bought a new external

drive and am working on cleaning up my hard drive- I have a collection of (old western) videos that I need to store

somewhere else!)

re repair/install- that's quite a "scary" blurb and I'm not sure where my situation appears on that list (or if it does).

I'd prefer not to lose all of my programs- some can't be replaced- and being a retired person on limited income

really don't want to spend too much.

I did find a few tools in those links that will be helpful- I ran DDS to get that info in readable form.

Thanks you

rangerws

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

I have no idea what you are responding to...are you feeling OK?

Louis

#5 rangerws

rangerws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

Sorry moderator Louis, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to comment on the

links you sent me. I was just trying to say that I had read those.

My bad, hope you have a great day!

rangerws

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Hi hamluis,

I think you'll find he has read the links in your signature and not the links you provided!!

ET

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

#7 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

@rangerws

hamluis suggested you look at these links:

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

#8 rangerws

rangerws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

To English Teacher- I suppose I am to blame for not knowing that the links under his name were his "signature";

it all seemed to be related to my question. I had in fact previously read the top 2 referrals which you copied

in your response, and spent further time reading the five other links. I don't quite understand all of what is in

the Repair / Install link, e.g. Can those hidden files that are not in my C: partition be somehow "released from hiding"

to do the Repair process.

I understand that people who do this work can be quite busy; I got involved in the same thing back in 2000 when

I seemed to have the only version of that MSWindows that was working; the work can be gratifying, sometimes

frustrating, and now I'm on the other side with a frustrating problem. Sorry if I ticked anybody off.

rangerws

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

Sorry for the confusion...but I now understand your response :).

That was a first...no one has ever interpreted thus before.

The link on the Win 7 Repair install is what was expected to be looked at.

Louis

#10 rangerws

rangerws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

To hamluis- no problem I'll go back to the Repair / Install listings and see if my question about

"unhiding" those original install files is covered.

thanks

rangerws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users