Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe mode boot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pez44

pez44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi All,

Great forum, had a good read of a number of issues and really learnt alot.

I have a laptop that wont boot up, just sticks on the window blue screen before loading the desktop, ive tried to start i safe mode but no good, how can i get around this?

Do i need to change the Boot order as may be a problem with the USB ports so should i instruct it to start with IDEO?

HDD MODEL NAME - TOSHIBA MK2565GSX

System BIOS Version: V1.09

Travel Mate 5742

2.40GHz

Intel Core i3 CPU

Think its Windows 7

I just really need to get on the laptop to move all of the music and doucments onto an external hard drive to move to another laptop, once i have done this i no longer need te laptop.

Do i need to use a disk to boot up and gain the hard drive that way?

thanks in advance.

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

You can use a small linux distro like Puppy to copy over your data. You could also put the drive in an external enclosure and transfer your files. After you transfer your data and music, you can then look at fixing drive or using the drive as another backup device if it is not failing.

For the Puppy option download the iso here. You can burn the iso using a Windows 7 computer by right clicking it and selecting Burn Image. You can also use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB if you want to go that route.

After booting to the Puppy desktop, you should see a hard drive icon in the lower left of the desktop called sda1. This will be your laptops HDD. Click once and the File Manager will open showing your files and folders. Attach a USB flash or external drive. A USB icon will appear next to your CD/DVD drive. Click once and another File Manager will open. You can select files and folder in the HDD File Manager by using  Ctrl+ left click. You can also left click and drag a window around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted files from the HDD File Manager to the USB File Manager. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy and not Move.

I have used Puppy with success but I came across another utility that will create a bootable WinPE USB or DVD using a Windows 7 computer. It is called Aeomi PE builder. I have not tried this yet though and do not know the total download size. As you can see from the image, you will get a familiar desktop vs the linux desktop of Puppy.

Desktop.png

#3 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

great many thanks for swift response, so when i go onto Puppy Linux website (your link) which download should i copy to usb pen to use on knackered laptop?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

...when i go onto Puppy Linux website (your link) which download should i copy to usb pen to use on knackered laptop?

You don't copy the ISO.  You either have to burn it to a CD or make a bootable flashdrive with Rufus.  John already said that.  Any Puppy version would work.  You just want something that is bootable and with which you can get the files of the HDD.

#5 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

sorry, so i am using this laptop which is fine, so how do I put the Puppy on a USB flash to then whack on the brokken laptop. Where do i get Rufus from?

I presume then once i have this, i then power on the broken laptop, hit F8 and boot up the USB HDD first with the USB flash in the port which will detect Puppy, that correct?

thanks

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

I linked to Rufus if you want to download it and use it to create a bootable USB. Edit: If you want to use a CD then simply right click the iso file and select Burn Image.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

If using Rufus you would download select Iso image in the dropdown box that shows Freedos. Keep every other box set as it shows. Click the small folder icon next to the dropdown box. Browse to your iso file and select start. All current data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

Yes, you presumed correct. Toshiba may have a boot menu you can access at startup and select the CD or USB flash drive. See this link. The key can either be F12 or Letter keys depending on the device. See this support page. Attach the USB before powering on.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#7 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

thanks, have got rufus and puppy on usb now, connected it to usb port on broken laptop, powered on, F12 and selected USB HDD, but then it comes up with a black screen:

Missing operating system_

Any ideas what ive done wrong?

thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

That should not have happened.  Can you select USB as first boot device in BIOS? When you look at the contents of the USB flash drive on the computer you created the bootable USB, is there a number of files on the flash drive? The version that you downloaded may not work with your hardware but I think that is a rare problem with Puppy. You could download this older version. I know it works with just about anything.

lupu-528.005.iso

You can try another software that makes bootable flash drives. It's called Yumi. In the first box you will see your flash drive listed. In the second dropdown box you can select Puppy linux and it will automatically download the distro for you. Since you already have Puppy, you can select Try an Unlisted ISO (GRUB) then browse to the Puppy Iso file.

If the above does not work, I would try the Aoemi PE builder.

Edit: If the computer has a UEFI BIOS, change it to Legacy or CSM.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#9 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

thanks John, so currently on my USB pen i have:

devx_slacko_5.7.sfs - - SFS FILE

lupo-528.005 - - DISC IMAGE FILE

rufus-1.4.12 -  - APPLICATION

Is that everything i need to now try again on broken laptop?

thanks

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:52 PM

I think you have the isos on the USB flash drive without creating it with Rufus. First, all those files should be off the Flash drive and on the desktop of the good computer. Double click the Rufus 1.4.12 exe file on the desktop of the good computer. The Rufus window will open. The first box will show your USB flash drive letter.

In the second box it should have MBR as the partition scheme in the dropdown box.

Leave everything else as in the window as shown except in the dropdown box that has Freedos, select ISO image as shown in the image below.

Click the icon that shows a drive and browse to the lupo-528.005 file on the desktop

Click the start button

Wait until Rufus has finished. It will say Done

Eject the USB flash drive from the good computer and attach to the Toshiba. Power up and select the USB flash drive to boot. It should work.

rufus_en.png

#11 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

great, thanks, worked a treat, Puppy launched on Broken laptop, just need to find where all the music and films are and copy them to hard drive!

many thanks for your help John.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

Glad you finally got it to work. Check this guide. It will show some of the locations on the HDD to look.

Copying your files to external hard disk or USB flash drive

Dont't bother doing the diskfix though.

#13 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

mybad did not know it was fixed. 

Edited by gameffect, 03 December 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#14 pez44

pez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

perfect, that guide works a treat.

So is it easy to re-install windows, and test whether the hard drive is ok or totally knackered?

thanks,

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

You can test the hard drive before the Windows install by using Seatools for DOS. If Seatools does not detect the drive you may have to change from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS. Seatools for DOS is a bootable iso file. You would need to burn a disk or do the same thing with Rufus as you did with the Puppy linux iso.

Seatools for DOS tutorial

SeaTools for DOS Guide - Seagate

Another iso you can download is Parted Magic, similar to Puppy.  Another iso with a DiskHeath utitlity on the desktop that can check your drive but I would try Seatools for DOS first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users