Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung NP-QX411-W02UB Won't boot Win 7, can only get to bios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Infectafated

Infectafated

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

I've got a Samsung NP-QX411-W02UB laptop that when powered on asks for a password (the Win 7 password will get me to the bios if I hit F2 in time).  If I hit F5 for repair/recovery I get a blank screen with the insertion cursor that doesn't respond to anything.  If I just type the password and hit enter, it black screens for a second then goes back to asking me for the password.  I tried to disable the system password in bios, but the selection is greyed out.

I've tried booting from the repair discs and it eventually defaults to the hard drive (which is detected in the bios).  I don't think the cd drive fires up at all when it's at the top of the boot que.  I reset settings in bios to original, but that didn't help at all.  I haven't tried to boot from usb yet, as I'm not sure what I should have on the usb to boot from/to.

I'm not thinking I have a dead HD because it's detected in the bios, but I'm not sure.

I'd be truly grateful for any help to get me on the road to fixing this laptop (my gf's).

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2014 - 05:50 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'd probably suspect the CMOS/RTC Battery .

Louis

#3 Infectafated

Infectafated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was under the belief that there would be an error message associated with a CMOS battery failure, but I'm not sure how Samsung handles that.  I also thought that if you left the laptop on for 24+ hours, that the CMOS battery would charge up enough to get into the op system.  Again, I'm not positive about the my suspicions. I'm curious if there is any way I could check the CMOS Batt without waiting the 2+ weeks for a new battery to show up? 

Also, if there are any other possibilities I can check without putting a lot of $ into this, I'd be happy to hear them too.

Again, I really appreciate all the help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Generally...a failing CMOS/RTC battery does not generate its own error message.  IME, what may happen is that there will be a series of of error messages, all relating to hardware on the system, that will be false in nature.  The hardware items will be fine, but error messages concerning them will commence...or things like inability to change BIOS settings and have the changes stick..may occur.

There is no source of power for a CMOS battery to recharge itself, when it's gone, it's gone.  That's why a replacement is necessary.

Another indicator many are aware of...the system clock may lose its capability to reflect correct time/date data.  This will, in turn, cause problems with Windows.

Louis

#5 Infectafated

Infectafated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi Louis,

Just finished replacing the CMOS and nothing changed.  On boot, blank screen (with a cursor in upper left) flahes on and off repeatedly.  I can F2 for setup menu but if I hit F4 for Repair, blank screen returns and stays there, frozen, until holding down power button restarts the whole process (or lack thereof).

Any other ideas I might try before the holidays turn into a new laptop for my girlfriend and coal for everyone else?

Thanks again for the assistance.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

The HDD can show in BIOS but still fail. It could also be file system corruption. I would download Parted Magic, burn the iso file and boot to the Parted Magic desktop. Double click the Disk Health icon and do a short test. You can also use the File Manager to copy any files from the hard drive to an external drive if you wish.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

You did reset the BIOS settings...after changing the CMOS battery, correct?  Adjusted date/time and boot data and saved changes by hitting F10?

Louis

#8 Infectafated

Infectafated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi Louis/John,

I did reset the BIOS settings and nada.  I finally I found out it was some serious infections (rootkit viruses I believe).  i was able to boot from a Win 7 cd a friend lent me and ran a slew of anti-virus programs and i hope i got all of them.  I really appeciate all the help you've offered me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users